Rainbird 5004 Rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mattm1962, Sep 27, 2006.

1. mattm1962

mattm1962 LawnSite Member

Earlier this summer I installed 15 RB 5004's in my backyard. So far I have replaced one because it stopped rotating and another because the wiper seal failed. This morning I noticed another one leaking at the wiper seal. Am I just having bad luck or are there problems with these heads? Also, to avoid having to dig out the latest problem head and replace it, I would rather just pull out the guts and fix or replace the seal...is that possible?
  2. Those seals are easily damaged by sand/grit/soil.....If you haven't already done so, make sure the heads are installed slightly above SOIL grade......

Yes you can replace just the guts...
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

There are things I do like about the 5004, but the reliability is still something to be desired.
  4. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

If only rain bird made nozzels for the hunter pgp's!
  5. If I had a dollar for every time I wished that......
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I still think someone should make aftermarket nozzles for the PGP.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What would you want these aftermarket nozzles to achieve? Low pressure coverage? (Hunter will suggest you really want 50 psi head pressure - [note to Hunter - get real])
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Better break up on lower GPM nozzles. Compare rainbirds low GPM nozzles to Hunters and you'll see what I mean.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

That "better breakup" is really skewed towards over-coverage close-in. But it sells. Hey, you could always craft an adapter, and use R-50 Rain Curtain nozzles. You can't get more close-in coverage than those.
  10. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

Nothing beats an R-50 nozzle for sure! But, I heard Rain Bird is taking the R-50 out of it's product line. Typical Rain Bird--why sell something that has been around forever and actually works!