Rainbird 95DR

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dochuff, Jul 28, 2006.

1. dochuff

dochuff LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I know this is an installers forum. I own a 12,000 sq ft croquet lawn. My irrigation installer deceased about 2 years ago. A Hunter Pro C controller is set up with 4 zones; each with a single Rainbird 95DR head. FWIW 10hp pump: 80 psi, 90+ gpm with a shallow lake to provide H2O.

Recently a single head won't pop up or discharge water. (My pump has an secondary/emergency valve with a hose connector which releases the excess pressure)

All other heads work fine. (The same head does not work if I change wires to a different zone.) How do I test my valves, solenoids, etc. (I know how to use a multimeter)

Thanks in advance, Also, my small club will thank you as well.

J. Huff

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Does the head work in the manual mode??

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This is a valve-in-head electric solenoid activated sprinkler.

Will it work if you manually activate when the pump is supplying water?

Not a water or pump issue to the system then. I'm assuming that all zones (sprinklers) are properly programmed.

If you change and use a different sprinkler's terminal and things still don't work then you have a problem with either the wiring or solenoid to the bad sprinkler. If you switch terminals and the sprinkler now works then you have a controller problem with a particular terminal.

I'm betting on a solenoid gone bad as long as you don't have a gopher problem or have had recent trenching through the irrigation wire route.

However, if the solenoid is still good then you could have a problem with the valve-in-head component.

4. dochuff

dochuff LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Thanks for you replies.

I don't have a manual, how do I put the head in manual mode? Is this something I do at the head?

J. Huff

5. PurpHaze

6. dochuff

dochuff LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Thanks for the link.

J.Huff

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is serious croquet still a pursuit where everyone wears white clothing?

8. dochuff

dochuff LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

In Official tournaments it is required. Most high class clubs require all whites even for practice.

J. Huff

9. dochuff

dochuff LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

OK it works on manual, now what? (of course you know I am soaking wet right now VBG)

J. Huff

10. PurpHaze

Welcome to the world of irrigation repair Wet Stuff Huff. :laugh:

My suggestion may not be liked by others but shut the water off, disconnect the wiring from the solenoid, remove the sprinkler and take it to a local supplier that handles this sprinkler. They'll be able to troubleshoot as to what exactly is wrong like solenoid, valve-in-head, etc. At worst you may have to purchase an entirely new sprinkler. If you do buy a new one then save the old one for replacement parts. Don't know what the going price is but valve-in-head, electric solenoid golf course style sprinklers like this may run $150 or more.