Rainbird Advertising

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cenlo, Aug 8, 2006.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I just recieved a Rainbird flyer comparing the 5000 series rotors to the Hunter pgp. I have always installed the pgp, but do find very poor water distribution. The advertisment claims that the 5000 series offers even water distribution accross the entire radius range!......Is this true? I can see a huge benifit if it is!

Thanks In Advance, Don

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Different people will argue this, but yes I can see a better distribution rate on the RB 5000. I have gone more to the 5004 since we service/repair only and some of these systems were not designed properly to begin with. We get more water closer to the head with the 5004 than the PGP.

BUT, the PGP is still by far the most reliable.

3. I hate the 5004 as far as leaky seals etc......

But I love the nozzle...

If Mr. Hunter or family is watching....improve your nozzle and blow Rainbird out of the water.....amen.

4. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

The Rain Bird 5004 low angle nozzles suck! Terrible distribution uniformity! We have had nothing but problems. The rain curtain nozzles work O.K. though.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

My partner just got back from a vacation to the DFW area of Texas. While visiting his brother there he helped put in an irrigation system for his brother. When it got time to buy sprinklers the store tried to pursuade him to use Rainbirds because "everyone here uses them." He politely declined and made his brother buy Hunters. :laugh:

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

That is normal. It relates back to the Jones's concept.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if someone could make a killing manufacturering aftermarket nozzles for the PGP that give the same rain curtain effect?

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Rainbird's attorneys would probably jump all over anyone who tried it.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its not exactly like they can patent "Square hole, not round"...I think?

Hey I found their SolidWorks Mold file :laugh:

[​IMG]

Seems like they use a a square with a rounded top to give the broken up spray. I really don't think you can patent that, perhaps the key is setting the hole further back in the nozzle and useing the flanges, much like a turbine nozzle.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, patents get protected. I know that most of a season's production of the industry-leading Toro Super600 was 'lost' when their wiper seal infringed on someone else's patent. They had to stop shipping until they designed a new seal.