Rainbird and Weathermatic Problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I stopped using Rainbird product about 6 years ago because I switched to a different distributor that pushes Hunter. I used the R-50 rotary for about 8 years and still think they cover better than any other rotary. I stopped using them because one year I was getting about 5 heads/case that were bad. The distributors did not admit anything was wrong but other contractors were also having the same problem. Anyway, I couldnt keep up with service problems anymore and stopped using them. By the way, the same year I noticed them in Home Depot. Coincidence? or did they find a way to make their product cheaper?
    As for the DV100 valves, I havent used them in about 6 years but in the last few years been noticing quite a few with hairline cracks on the inlet side of the valve right on the flow arrow. Anyone else have this problem? I used them on all different manifold systems and there are problems on all of them.
    Since then, I tried Hunter valves(Problems=coil thread too fine, servicemen loosen them too much and crossthread them trying to get them back in. and the inside of the coil seperating from the outide,whats up with that.)then Irritrol valves, OK but not a fan of the bonnet. Get a little sand on the thread and forget it. Settled on the Weathermatic Silver Bullet. Superior construction material, manual operation and serviceabilty. Only problem, the year I decided to use them, they decided to have a coil problem. My luck. Anyone get killed by that problem?

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Yes yes yes hate those danm valves:angry: . I am on my 3rd set of solenoinds on one property and the local distributer dosent carry solenoids so I have been having to buy the whole valve. The size of the wire is the issue they say but the wire they are using now would start my truck. Richdel wires are tiny and they work just fine. To top it off this propert has 24 stations and every time one goes bad the Total controll time thows a "short" sign and I have to power down the clock and reprogram the whole thing Hate those valves:angry: I have talked to others in the area same problem I called Weathermatic and the rep said she would send we free ones but wanted my bad ones back. Has'nt happened, probably replaced 25-30 solenoids:angry: Richdells are like bic lighters cheap and easy to replacre the bonnett just get a cordless drill and a nut driver and extenson

3. Rainman7

from NY

I was told the platistic got contaminated in the mold process. Funny thing, I was just servicing a system with 36 year old brass weathermatic valves and all coils were original. Why'd they have to fix what wasnt broken? Scary thing is that I have had a few with the heavy wire go bad already.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Az... tell us how you REALLY feel. LOL

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We use DVF-100's exclusivly. I have yet to find a cracked valve body that wasn't caused by too much teflon and a overtightened male adapter.

6. Rainman7

from NY

How long have you been installing them?

7. PurpHaze

I've never seen an Irritrol Century Plus with a crack either. I took a body of one once and tightened a TOE nipple into it as far as I could and still no crack. Finally put it on the vice and took a large pipe wrench to it and it finally cracked after much huffing.

In all the years we've been using these valves there were really only three things wrong with them that I can remember:

(1) The bolts in the body used to come out from the body when the top nut was rusted onto them. That's been solved because the bolts are now molded into the body with some type of stop.

(2) A few years back some of the valves came out with their pitot tubes reversed and wouldn't work right.

(3) The valves went from Hardie to Irritrol (independently owned) to Irritrol (Toro subsidiary).

8. PurpHaze

Most brass valves cost more than plastic based ones. However, with the escalating oil prices (plastic IS petroleum based) who knows what the future holds.

If you're soooooo fond of brass originality then perhaps we should all be installing nothing other than Champion brass heads. NOT!!! :D

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Brass mist heads used to be the tippy-top of the scale when it came to residential installs (Champion-types and Rain Jet not included) - where are they now?

10. PurpHaze

I still see some homes in the older sections of the city with brass sprays. Easy to spot because they have their lawn guys clear around them in diamond-shaped patterns.