Rainbird Controller Not Working

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bappida69, Jun 10, 2008.

1. bappida69

bappida69 LawnSite Member

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum for posting this question that I have. I am an absolute newbie and recently found that my Rainbird E-9 Controller seems to be "dead". Other than checking the power supply, I am not sure if there is something else I can do to set this right?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Any lightning activity? Pull out any backup battery. The idea is a complete power-down, in the hopes of rebooting the controller.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

See if there's a little fuse in the back. Leave it unplugged for a few hours after
    proving it's getting 110v & 24 volts after the transformer. Is it plugged into a circuit
    that has a GFI (ground-fault-interrupter)?

4. bappida69

Once I am home, I will check this and post. But yes, there were some lightning activities some time back:cry: Do all these controllers have back up battery? I couldn't find that in the front panel. But will look again.

Thanks for the responses..

5. bappida69

Hi,

I did not find any backup battery nor did I find any fuse in the back/front:confused:

Thanks!

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't believe that model had them. It has been discontinued. Sorry, but it's a junk controller. I don't like it.

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Replace that hunk-of-junk! The E series was a really bad idea...

8. bappida69

Hi,

Sounds like I need to change the controller:cry: However, I wanted to first verify if the transformer is ok or not.

So I went ahead and bought a new sprinkler transformer to check the same. However while trying to install the new transformer, I noticed that there are two wires, whereas the E-9 transformer seems to have three wires connected to the controller(two colors only). Little confused as to how to connect the transformer?

Thanks in advance!

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

get yourself a esp lxi hoss.......

spend the dough..they go cheap on the intrawebs..

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Three-wire transformer ~ leave the green wire unconnected. Black and white will be 24VAC.