RainBird Controller Problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by crosson lawn, Apr 23, 2005.

1. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

This is the ESP 6SiRR. O.K. the AC fuse (250V 1amp 3AG) on the pannel keeps blowing. On the transformer (plugin) it says that it is supposed to be putting out 26.8 volts AC and 1amp. I measured it and it is putting out a non-constant 28.9 - 29.2. Has anyone else had this problem?? and did the obvious fix the problem i think i need a new plugin maybe??

thanks for the time and help.

2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Have you run a test cycle to see what is up with the system? If the transfromer is sending out the correct voltage, and it sounds like it is in range, you probably have a short somewhere. I think you can run a test cycle on yours. Turn it to off, press the off and on buttons next to the display window at the same time. You should get a screen check in the display that shows all the screen possibilities. Press the advance key (I think it's the far right one) and the system will cycle through and check for shorts and opens. Have a paper to right it down. You might find your problem that way.

3. crosson lawn

kool i will try this thanks

4. CMKC

CMKC LawnSite Member
    from KC

Have you checked your ohm reading? I am guessing you have a bad selenoid. Check each zone at the controller and see what feedback reading you get from the field. You can do this with or without replacing the blown fuse. Hope this helps.
    CMKC

5. crosson lawn

CMKC this is good advise. I just got off the phone with RainBird and he said this may be the cause also.
    The tolerance of ohms for a rainbird selenoid is between 40-60.
    If anyone knows the tolerance of any other name brands this would help.
    also i thought that these 6 selenoids are probably all the same so they should be reletively the same reading except the one that is bad should be way off.

6. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Generally the ranges are as follows:
    Less than 15 ohms = short or more than one solenoid on the zone
    15-50 or 60 ohms = good solenoid and field wiring
    Over 50 or 60 ohms = open

Disconnect the common wire and measure between it and the station wire terminal with the station wire attached to take your readings.
    If you have a problem zone you can go to the solenoid and disconnect the wires. Measure the solenoid and if you get the same readings you know the problem is there, replace the solenoid. If the solenoid tests good, you have a field wire problem. Then you need my tracker and 2003 pulser to find the problem.

7. crosson lawn

Good deal i am putting this away in my memory and my notebook. Thank you so much i feel like checking this today.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

and that is normal. The DC resistance of valve solenoids, of all brands, will be in a wider range than the Rainbird values. The procedures already mentioned will catch out the bad actor.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i am also betting on a bad solenoid.

just manual start the controler and advance through the zones. whatever zone cuases the fuse to blow is your bad zone..... if it blows on station 1 just switch wires and see if it blows on the same valve..

10. crosson lawn

O.K. i took all of ya'lls advice. The ohm reading was 3.7 and the others were 33.4. this is a toro cellinoid. i was dreading finding a short so i was relieved to find the cellinoid was the cause. thanks for all your help. planter how does the tracker and pulser work?
    will it find the exact location of the short or is it just a wire locator for under the ground?? i should get one to add it to my troubleshooting suitcase.