1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

RainBird ESP 4m Rain Sensor Issue

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by njchoochoo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. njchoochoo

njchoochoo LawnSite Member

I am hoping that someone here would be able to help me with an issue I am having with my system. I have the above referenced controller with a Hunter rainclik wireless rain sensor. The sensor shows that the system should water. The controller has the alarm light lit with sensor displayed in the panel when the bypass switch is in the active position. I have tried reprogramming the system, and still have the same issue. I have powered the controller on and off, and reset the rain sensor with no success. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds very much like you have a miswiring of the leads going from the receiver to the controller. I would double check this first.

3. njchoochoo

This is a new symptom that started sometime during this watering season. Everything was fine up to shut down last season. No wires were moved or changed, and both are connected securely to the correct terminals on the controller. Thank you.

4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Has it rained lately? Alarm light coud mean the sensor is wet or disfunctional.

Put a jumper wire between the two rain sensor terminals inside the clock and see if the alarm goes off. If it does, your hunter sensor is bad.

5. njchoochoo

Went to the controller and removed the existing sensor wires. Then placed a jumper wire on the two terminals and placed the bypass switch in active, and had the same result. The alarm light lit and sensor was displayed on the display. I guess this rules out an issue with the sensor. Any further suggestions? Thank you.

6. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

In the past month I have had to reboot the firmware on two RB ESP. Had one that had an alarm light on one particular zone and there was no fault. The other would only let you run a zone for 0-9 minutes.

7. njchoochoo

Thanks for the replies. Cjohn2000, I have done a reset by setting the dial to seasonal adjustment and holding the arrows until cleared showed in the display. I am unsure of the procedure to reset the firmware, or even if I can do so as an end user. Thanks again.

8. cjohn2000

Thats how the RB tech support instructed on how to reset them. Not a big fan of that controller, for obvious reasons.

9. cjohn2000

So you have disconnected the sensor and still the same issue. Can you manually run the zones without problems, from the controller?

10. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member