Rainbird ESP running with multiple zones?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jlouki01, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who says when he turns his water on 1-2 zones kick on. By turning water on I mean at the back flow. He came home one day to find his irrigation on at an abnormal time.

I suspect a bad controller? Had him do an EPROM reset and power / off / on. After the ERPOM reset two different valves came on when the water was turned back on. System will not shutoff.

2. Michdeere

Michdeere LawnSite Member

Remove the zone wires from the affected zones at the controller. That will eliminate the clock from the equation. If the zones in question still run, locate the valves in the lawn. Check for manually opened valves, if they're not manually open, disassemble them and check for debris. That's probably the issue.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that clock has a non volatile memory and not sure if a reset zeros it out. 99% of these problems are operator error. Zero all programs, I'd bet he's got programs stacked up; that's all that would explain the clock coming on at the wrong time.

4. jlouki01

To clarify.. the system is just ON.. no program running system switch to off. If the water is on on the main.. the system is running at least two zones. Had him do a reset and a different two zones came on.

Stopping over tomorrow to check will post what the fix was.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Oops, I thought it was a real system. What kind of valves, forward or reverse flow?

6. jlouki01

Turned out to be something holding a valve open. I manually opened the bleeders to run each valve. Whatever it was flushed out.

Kind of weird.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I love flushing out valves....

I also hate stuck ones hidden on crappy systems...

my boss loves them, he banks on charging track time....covers my return right off the bat...

8. jlouki01

When he told me what general area the valve box was in i hung my head and headed in. It was underneath a way over grown weeping cherry surrounded with barberry's with 5" of mulch on it. Was a 4 valve manifold glued so close together you would never be able to repair it easily.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

you CAN DO IT!

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

hire some Oompa Loompas for techs