Rainbird ESP-SMT controller programming question.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sagefool1975, Jul 17, 2010.

1. sagefool1975

sagefool1975 LawnSite Member

[Apparently I had this in the wrong section before, so trying again here.]

Homeowner here, I have it all set up, and the programming has been simple for the most part. I have managed to come across a situation where I didn't really know what to do and would love some help working it out.

I'd like to water some trees with drip irrigation and get a good soak in, then let it dry out reasonably well before watering again. But with the SMT working to replace the moisture I'm getting my trees watered every 5 days and watering by hand I probably wouldn't have been doing anything more than every couple of weeks. I know at this point I could probably go in and do custom k values and root depth to 'trick' the controller into watering less frequently but that seems like a weird situation.

I also see the option for setting the watering frequency, so I could put it at once every two weeks - but the documentation doesn't explain what the controller does in that situation with regards to weather changes. If I say water every two weeks and the ET rate doubles will the controller halve the time?

2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Try setting the rooting depth to a higher value.

3. Dan I found the previous watering. I have maxis and set them at .5"/hr (did a catch can) with 75% eff
    With .31ETo it watered 88 minutes.(It can water everyday) I'm going to check it with the aquaterr. That seems excessive but it does dry fast here with the long days and the wind.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The wind hasn't quit here this year in C Springs. It is drying lawns out faster than people realize. Even my hot air balloon buddies haven't been able to fly much. One guy is taking a beating on business due to it.