Rainbird + Irritrol Total Control Overlap Schedule Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dhess, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

Anyone know how most of Rainbirds and Irritrol's Total Control irrigation controllers handle overlapping scheduling?

does the overlapped time just get added on to the end of the que?

I'm having to program multiple properties to run shorter zone times while running multiple passes on the whole system.

I don't really want to calculate the total station times over again since I'll be constantly adjusting them.

My question is if I set the times on the controller to start for example Program A at 3 different times like..

12:00am
    12:01am
    12:02am

if this will always just run all three of those start times for program A back to back?

this would keep me from having to add up all the station times and put like

12:00am
    01:30am
    03:00am

assuming the station times added up to 90 mins.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It will stack them. Program A will run till it is completed on start time 1, then start time 2 will run, etc.... With that setup, you will be running non-stop for the total of all run times on program A x 3 starting at start time 1. This is of course is assuming there are no other overlapping run times on other programs.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

With every controller I have touched lately, (not counting old vintage equipment) EXCEPT Rainbird ESP series, you don't even need the 12:01,12:02, 12:03............ You can have all your starts be the same time and the controller will stack them.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The question arises why one would not designate the actual desired start times, instead of depending on program stacking.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. Why fry a hotdog when you can grill a hamburger?

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

A cool feature of the W*M Smartline is program "D" can run concurrently, so low flow
    stuff can run with the big dogs.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Same with the ICC - but how much residential drip is of the low-flow variety?

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

True, hydraulics have to be considered.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, which can be easily measured with a Ultrasonic Doppler Flowmeter :clapping:

10. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

cause adding numbers makes my head hurt :)

you can easily adjust the station times assuming the controller is going to stack and not have to go back and add up times and then recalculate the start times again.

lets say you add just 10 mins to one station, then you have to go back and change 2 start times on the controller, versus just adding the time to the actual zone (assuming you have no gap or spacing between start times)

lazy, somewhat, but it is smarter on complicated watering schedules where you can't have any gaps and may need to change constantly.

heres another thought. some controllers only do start times in 15 min increments. lets say for example you have a controller running 10 zones 5 min each and you need run program back to back 4 times.

lets say you have to start at 7pm so you have 50 mins total for each pass.

with 15 min increments you can set run times only at

7pm
    8pm
    9pm
    10pm

notice 7:45 would cause overlap and you can't set the controller to 7:50pm because it only allows 15 min increments so you have to set it with that 10 min gap.

so you now have 30 mins of *dead watering time* that isn't being used...which can add up and be very important if you can only water during certain times. 3 controllers all doing this might add up to a whole hour of no watering time and when your given only x amount of hours to run watering it might cause problems.

so I was curious like on the rainbird if it would just run the program back to back without the gap.