1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rainbird JTV Valve Problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Northwest, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

I installed 4 Rainbird JTV valves (new jar top) and one of them will only work manually. I swapped solenoids to another valve and the solenoid opened the other valve so I know the electric and solenoid are not the problem. Took off the top and diaphragm 3 times cleaned them, nothing. Replaced the top and diaphragm, nothing. Tried tightening the top and solenoid to varying degrees and the valve still will not open except manually by bleed screw or turning the solenoid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Sunset

Sunset LawnSite Member

If that model has a flow tube in the body it may be clogged. Clean it out with a thin wire. You may have an electrical problem. Disconnect the common and station wire, activate station, voltage should be 24. Rain bird solenoids should be 40-55 ohms on the station wire.
  3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we use our sprinkler flags to clean them out...sometimes too much glue, other times there is plastic in there from manufacturer.

this should solve the problem. otherwise, change the whole valve out.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I would bet the problem is the flow tube, but I would first check and make sure the tube is seated completely into the valve body. If the Tube isn't seated all the way, then it is to high and the solenoid can't clear the tube. When you are screwing the solenoid in, the plunger raises up against the tube. Then when the solenoid activates, the plunger can't move any farther. This is why so many HATE the old Hardie 2400's. I love the 2400, but it, like any other product has it's quirks.

For the record, I haven't had a Bird Jar top in my hands except briefly at the supply house.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

by redesigning the valve to allow the new, shorter, flow tube to move about within its confines. No longer did it contact the solenoid directly. You can fix an old Richdel jar-top with the internals from a new one.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I still haven't seen any of those valves installed here. Just another damn part I need to keep on the truck.
  7. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

It was the little hole the water exits into the downstream side of the pipe (I guess that is the flow tube, I have to plead ignorance). The hole is rectangular on jtr's and I tried to clear it with flag wires but they would not fit into the chamber so I got the cordless drill and smallest bit and that did the trick. Thanks for the help.