Rainbird Rotary Nozzles vrs MPRotators

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, May 21, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone tried both? Who makes the best one? Price?

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Both , no... MP-Rotator, yes. Our cost is $5 plus the spray head body ($1.65).

Had a site on Friday where I changed out three manual rotors around the flag pole area to MP-Rotators. This area is old, galvanized and water pressure and GPM has steadily reduced over the years. Only problem is that the area is surrounded by concrete and buildings and there is no way to redo the supply line. After swapping out for three MP-R 3000s I turned the brass ASV on and thought, "Oh crap" as the sprinklers popped up but wouldn't work; just dribbled. After leaving it on for about 20 seconds the pressure/water stabilized, the MP-Rs started turning and threw water sidewalk to sidewalk. Best coverage ever in this area in my tenure.

3. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

have not tried the rainbirds but the mp's are great!

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I still kind of think the MP Rotators are more for the repair/renovation end of things. Like milking some extra coverage from a zone of popup sprays, or coping with a loss of static pressure sometime after installation. Starting fresh, I still prefer larger rotors, and think the 3/4 inch inlet, sitting on a marlex elbow is more durable than anything you can fit a 1/2 inch head with.

5. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

we use them most on existing systems where people are watering lawns and beds together with rotors. you always have that rotor that is now doing nothing cause of the over growth of the plants. pop an mp 3000 in and it works great.

or that head on the corner of the house betwwen the neighbors and the fence to the backyard. take out the spray head that is running on the rotor zone and pop in a mp 2000, done and matched.

6. Wet_Boots

Pricewise, a highpop spray with a MP Rotator, compares very well to a highpop rotor. My durability concerns are mostly for the heads near driveways.

By the way Greenhorn, I hope you can supply some information on that other thread vis-a-vis the poly manifolds ~ not for the sake of receiving any grief, but for adding to the pool of general knowledge here.

Stoopid No-HTML Mode

7. DarkLotus

DarkLotus LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have tried both and the spray from the Rainbird's is crap compared to the MPRotors. It's not as uniformed and coverage is poor.

I'm a big fan of the MP's here and the price is right! $5 for the nozzle and I get a Weathermatic 4" mist body for only $1. Where else can you get a good $6 rotor and works well with low pressure and gpm's?

Also, in Northern NJ, there has to be at least a million Super 600's installed. I haven't found a head to fit in there nicely besides the 300 stream...except a 2 or 3" 570 with the correct adapters and the MP Rotor. Charge the customers the same price for a reg rotor for the new setup.

I have a few bags of the 3 nozzle sampler pack from Rainbird. If you're interested for a few, send me a pm. I'll be gladly to ship you some.

8. Wet_Boots

I find that many, but not all of the older Super600s can be replaced by Super700s, on account of the turf having built up over the years. On installs that really stretch the distances between heads, I haven't found an exact Super600 replacement, regardless of dimensions.

9. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Our local Ewing supply guy raves about Walla Walla, so much so he has them on display in the outside garden. Buddy asked me to replace some old Toros so I opted for the MProtators. Buddy loves em. Seems like a little more versatility and ease of use and application with the MP's

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We use the Hunter I-20 with stainless steel riser. The #6 0r #8 nozzle seems to match up well with existing Super 600 sprinklers in the same zone.