Rainbird rotary nozzles.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 27, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I used some Rainbird rotarys on my last job and I am very impressed!

Any other opinions as to the long term durablitiy? We were able to use them for site specific application this last time but I can forsee they could be very, very nice for future installs.

John :waving: :waving:

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about the new RB "MP Rotator" knock-offs?

I checked them out at John Deer Landscapes - they had them on display and we took several samples. They seem to be almost identical to the Walla Walla Sprinkler "MP Rotator", which I've used extensively for a few years now. Except that there is no cost savings (so why would I use it over the MP Rotators?) and they aren't adjustable like the MP Rotators are.

I don't see a point in using them. The MP Rotators have been working great for us, are more versatile, and are the same price.

3. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I think that I am going to give the MP & Walla Walla both a shot in my yard for the summer to see if one is better then the other. I have two zones with 15' spacing so I am going to run one zone with MP/Walla Walla and the second with a mix of PGJ/3500.

4. JimLewis

Just keep in mind, you are comparing apples to oranges.

The MP Rotators are designed for low-pressure, low-flow situations. They don't apply nearly the same GPH of water that a PGJ does.

I use PGJs usually. But when you're in a situation where there isn't enough flow to install 4 PGJs, then it's time to consider the MP Rotators. The precip. rate is awesome. But remember, you gotta run the MPRotators for 2-3 times as long as you would a PGJ.

5. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info.... I already looked up the spec sheets. I am trying them out for personal reference for future jobs.

6. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

RI,
    Jim brings up a good question about why try the Rain Bird over the Walla Walla. The only reason we sell the Rain Bird instead of the Walla Walla MP rotator in our area is because Ewing is the exclusive distributor in Southern California, and we are a competitor. Walla Walla's adjustability is a key strength to their product; Rain Bird says they are working on it, while at the same time trying to get around the Walla Walla patent. We'll see what happens.

Sean Billante
    Sales Manager
    Aqua-Flo Supply, Inc.

7. JimLewis

Yah, I think that's the reason a lot of places are carrying the new rainbird MPR heads. In my area, the supplier who has the exclusive is United Pipe. Great store. But they don't treat me nearly as good as the store we frequent - Horizon. So I always have to go to the supplier we DON'T use very often to get the Walla Walla MPRs. I hate doing it because I'd prefer to stay loyal to Horizon. But the Walla Walla MPRs truly are amazing. We've begun to use them predominately now for most of our irrigation jobs. We started out using them just for low-pressure and low-flow situations. But now we just use them standard if at all possible. They are just so versatile and they really allow you to expand your zones and not have to install so many valves (zones) per property. My foreman loves them. I can't get him to stop using them.

8. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have never seen or used a WallaWalla as they are not available here that I know of. Where can I get some to give them a try?

John :waving:

9. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

go online to Walla Walla's website and you can find a distributor that services your area. www.mprotator.com

10. JimLewis

Ditto that. That's how we first learned about them. I kept seeing them in journals and magazines winning awards and so forth and I finally went to the website and they conected me with the local rep. The rep. for my area actually even met with me and gave me 10 or 15 to try out. And he hooked me up with there store where we could get them on a regular basis. Ever since, we've been using them more and more.