1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rainbird Tech Support

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HokieAg07, Jan 21, 2009.

1. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Had a good experience today with Rainbird Tech Support out in Cali.

Just picked up a new property with another Rainbird MDC 2 wire clock. Figured Id go over there and download all the data onto my laptop so I could give it a once over from the warmth of my office. Hooked the cable up and proceeded to download the data however it came up with a strange error. Tried everythign I knew to do with no luck. My local Rainbird guy is out on medical leave so my only recourse was to call Rainbird.

Got a hold of a guy in Global Support Plans who is the MDC expert over there. He spent about two hours on the phone with me trying to get to the bottom of the strange issue. He ended up deciding to warranty the controller for me and didnt charge me for the call.

Just thought that was good on them.
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds real good on them. New controller, free support. A company that stands behind the product, for once.
  3. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I had a similar experience last year with RB. They were helpful and in my case helped me solve my issue. Free support to contractors or techs.
  4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

RB could be a little more forthcoming when admitting to a mistake (TBird debacle, Turfmaster controller, ESP backplane problem come to mind) AND a little freer with RB Bucks to compensate for being their beta-testers.

Hunter Tech usually pretty good, too. WM, not so great.
  5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

My last experience with Rainbird tech support was not good. I was calling about a problem with the SMX field test unit I was given and the dude said I should stop complaining since I got a free controller.
    Weird thing is I wasn't complaining, just looking for a workaround for the MV circuit seeing the pump start unit as a short.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Rainbird printed up some very detailed data sheets on the T-Bird, explaining the modifications they made to deal with the problems that were reported. Too much information, really.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

They owned up to it pretty well here. Paid me lots of money to replace them. Got free goodies too.
  8. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Was the guy you worked with named Mike? If so, I have worked with him in the past over the phone, he is great! There is a huge difference between the Global Support Plan tech support and general tech support.....the GSP guys are all very well trained and excellent to work with. The other group...not so much!
  9. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

This has been my experience with calls to the general tech support group....see my previous post. My test units came with the business card of the Product Manager, did you not get that contact info? I was told that the tech support group would know nothing of about this controller because it is a field test and not for sale.
  10. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep Mike Allen was his name, great guy. I got transferred to him almost immediately. The regular tech support guy didnt even try to help he sent me right to GSP!