rainbird valve question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Don32, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

I have a rainbird 100 DV valve that I believe is not closing fully. Here is my problem. On this valve I have two heads. When the system is off I still have water slowly coming out of the closest head to the valve. The farthest head is not leaking but is at a higher ground elevation. I have tried 3 new heads and it still leaks so not the head. I went on rainbird's site to their trouble shooting section. They suggested loosening the solenoid to flush system. I did this, still leaks. Before I start opening the valve, any suggestions on what the problem may be. Diaphram, solenoid???

Thanks,

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How long does it leak for?

Sounds more like the zone piping draining out of the lowest head over a weeping valve. Install a check valve on the lowest head.

3. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

it constantly leaks. not a lot but a constant trickle. it is the lowest head but I would think after awhile it would stop when the water leveled off from the other head.

If I installed a check valve it would stop water coming back from the head but if my valve is bad water would still leak, correct?

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How much of a drop in elevation is this zone? If its draining out the entire zone, it could weep for hours.

The reasion I suggest this is because diaphram valves usually tend to stick either open or closed, but not in the middle, especially the DV's.

5. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

I have had the head off for the past 10 days and water is still trickling out. Here is what I did today. I currently have a hole dug so I see what I am doing. Approximately 2 inches is out of the ground with water coming out. I added a 6" extender piece to see if the water would rise to that new level and it did. I'm getting pressure and water from somewhere. I think valve but not sure.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I actually find DV diaphragms to be very problematic. Replaced 2 yesterday that were seeping. Probably replaced 15 this spring that were doing it. More than likely, but not guaranteed, it is the diaphragm or debris in the valve preventing it from sealing.

7. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

are these hard to replace?

8. Only if the valve box is dirty or underwater.

Just replace the manifold gasket.
    Piece of cake,5 minutes for a pro, maybe 10 to 15 for an inexperienced person.

9. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

shut the water off, make sure you clean around the valve so nothing falls in when you change it. take out the six screws and just replace the top half with the diaphram and solenoid. you should only leave the body that is connected to the pipe.

pay attention to how it will go back togethr and rewire the new solenoid.

or you can take it apart and clean the diaphram, there is probably a little something stuck in there.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This problem is more common than many think regardless of manufacturer. My bet is diaphragm or top end problems allowing the weep-by. Gut the thing and replace everything except the valve body and all should be fine.