Rainbird vs. Toro vs. Hunter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenoasis, Jun 29, 2006.

1. greenoasis

greenoasis LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

I'm looking at getting into the irrigation business. What brand has worked best for you guys? I'm leaning towards Toro, but I'm open to all of them.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

There is no single brand that is best in all categories. They all have their ups and downs.

3. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

you nailed it
    toro, best mist head
    hunter, best rotor
    controller, several good ones i love the total control

4. Toro spray heads are junk ie: weak springs, nozzles clog easy and wiperseals leak. Everything in the irritol name that toro has improved they made worse. ie: 205 diaphragms, Rain Dials - All are total junk now. Toro blows. justmy2centsworth

5. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If Toro Blows then what do you use that dosent blow??

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Extreme opinions on products are worth the paper they're printed on. Design and patents give an edge to some. Good manufacturing practices help others. And always, something unforeseen can happen to change quality, usually for the worse.

7. Today we use Hunter I-20 ultra rotor heads, Rain Bird 1800 PRS & PRS SAM spray heads, Hunter PGV 1" control valves. Hunter Pro-c controllers.
    In the 80's we used super 600, Rain Bird 1800's greenspray heads ( I still work on a system we used the Green 1800's back in 1984 and they are still working) , Nelson valves( same as a 205) and controllers.
    In the middle 90's we used pgp's, Hardie 205 valves and RainDials. Then Toro purchased Hardie and ruined 2 great products, the RainDial and the 205's. Toro changed the diaphragm in the 205's to a softer seal so they could run drip with a 205. With a softer seal it would rip and the valve would fail, I changed over 150 diaphragms, once this was revealed too me, on systems I had just installed. Toro also ruined the RainDial controller. Toro changed the Rain dial to a RainDial Plus in doing so they made the power terminals so close that the power would arc and burn up the controller. I had one that looked like it had a small fire in it.
    So TORO blow IMO.
    If you do enough service in this industry you will know what products stand true and which don't.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When (about what mfr dates) did the 205 diaphragms fail? Running any sandy water in them? I never had much issue with the Richdel designs. One Hardie change, on the antisyphon valves, made for problems. That's the sort of thing that is going to happen with purchased designs, as the original people aren't there to make decisions. Toro does seem able to admit an error, and work to remedy a problem, rather than to pretend it didn't happen.

9. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

1800' seals wear horrible, nelson i won't even comment on i 20 are good, toro has the best spray pattern/ coverage mist head nozzles around, yes toro has fooked up alot of products but there mist heads are superior

10. A 1800 from 1984 that is still working is far from horrible. A 570 will stick up and not retract way before a properly mounted 1800 wiper seal gives out.
    In harsh conditions a 1800 will out perform a 570 hands down. Toro sprays nozzles in the 5'-12' range clog very easily ,especially in sandy conditions. The 1800 is know as "the king of spray heads" . Screw a Toro and a RainBird together and pull them apart. The toro will retract all the way before the 1800 even starts to retract. Toro has a very weak spring. Show a customer a Toro and 1800 connected together and then pulled apart. Then let them decide which spray head they would like installed. This is after the toro 570 they called you out for was hit by the mower because it would not retract.

On a side note your snow making is crazy..lol now that is cool