Rainbird - zone 4 not working

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gorichb, Jun 4, 2007.

1. gorichb

gorichb LawnSite Member

Hi, re-posting this here :)

Rainbird model ESP-TM

I have 1 zone not working (zone 4). I replaced the valve outside yesterday but still no go. Was hoping it would be an easy repair. It will not work in auto or manual advance mode. Hoping I could get some pointers here to help me out. Could I run two zones together for the time being so I don't have to keep manually watering?
    Thanks for the help:waving:

2. Have you eliminated a wiring problem possibility?

3. gorichb

gorichb LawnSite Member

I have tested the wires outside and believe they are Ok. Not sure which ones to test for inside on the controller.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well you figure out what color wire that valve has and test that colored wire at the controller hook-up.
    But if they are ok at the valve they should be ok at the controller I would think.

5. How did you test the wires outside?

6. gorichb

gorichb LawnSite Member

I tried testing the resistance between the green wire (zone 4 outside) and the white wire. Probably wrong I know, thats why I am asking here *trucewhiteflag*

thanks for the replys

7. Turn on the zone that isn't working. Go to the solenoid of that zone. Have one wire hooked up and touch the other two wires together and see if you hear or feel a click in the solenoid. Don't worry it's only 24 volts. I get shocked all the time, makes me laugh. If it doesn't click you have a wiring problem (either cut or bad splice) and hooking two valves together isn't going to do you any good. You can also test a solenoid at the clock but most of the time the clock isn't the issue but it should be eliminated as a cause.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez pigs, you like the cheap highs! OK, valve replaced...good, do we know
    if the clock was putting out 24 volts & the ohm reading 15-50? Ohm it out
    by pulling the wires out of the clock & testing. The other classic question to the client, " have the gardeners been doing any work around here?"

9. My experience with instructing people with voltmeters is that more often than not they don't know how to use it properly and it probably needs new batteries from the last time it was used. We know it is just one valve so I'm betting the clock is okay and it is an outside wiring problem.

Naties and 24 volts Nowhere but TEXAS:drinkup: :dizzy:

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Goodness. Take the wires off of valve #4, switch them to any of valves #1-#3, and if it then turns on the valve you just switched the wires to, then it is not the wiring or the controller. It would be in the valve, most likely the solenoid.