1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rainbow's in Pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Phishook, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone do a pond that was designed for Trout or some other game fish?

Sure Koi are pretty, and serve a purpose in the landscape pond ecosystem. But for practical purposes, wouldn't a nice tasty rainbow be better? Just think, at the end of the season, no worries of winterizing your pond, just flip a fly out on the end of some 2 lb. test, grill'em up with some lemon.

If the algae becomes an issue, a nice carp can be pretty good if you smoke it right!
  2. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

Now you're talking!

For some reason I think they may taste funny.

Has that van seen a few shows?
  3. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

Here in Maine Koi are illegal. They say that the Inland Fisheries & Wildlife will give you trout for your pond so you don't get koi and then have them end up in a lake or pond. What little pond work we have done to this point has been build it and home owner takes care of fish if they want them.
    Personally I would love to have some largemouth's in the pond!!
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

One tidbit about trout: they need cold water to survive. They will not survive in a shalllow pond. In order for trout to survive, the depth of the pond will need to be at a minimum, 20 '.
  5. tom sumter

tom sumter LawnSite Member

I saw a show that featured a guy and his weird house. This guy had man-made ponds all around his house (they were like decent sized koi ponds). He raised trout and then when he was hungry, he pulled out his pole, threw a lure in the water, and caught his dinner.

The guy was a nut, but his set-up was pretty cool.
  6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I agree on the cold water. Now, if the pond is spring fed you will be ok. My grandfather has a spring fed pond, about 4' deep, he raises trout. Yum....stuffed rainbow trout!
  7. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

We build these things every day. Even in Georgia we do not go twenty feet deep. I think I like the way they think in Maine! There are a number of techniques to cheat any of the rules you have heard about ponds and lakes - particularly any depth guidelines.

You tell me - have you ever seen a koi/Carp as pretty as this trout?

8. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

There are a lot of trout ponds throughout the Smokies and every one I have seen is no more than 4' or 5' deep. According to trout hatchery businesses where you can buy trout to stock a pond, the only important factor is enough "flow" of water through the pond. They discourage you stocking with trout in a stagnant or slow moving water pond.
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

What is the temp of that water?? Warm water will kill trout quite easily. Seen it many times on the rivers up here when we get hot summers. Some of the best trout streams in the world are found here. The water is only a few feet in depth, but it is cold!
  10. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Ever been to the Smoky Mountains? You wont find anything but cold, cold water! I know things get more than just a little cold in Michigan and you can't compare our winters to yours, however, almost everything in these parts are between 2000' to 5500' in elevation and fed by mountain springs. I will not get in either of our two creeks even in the middle of summer! Water temps for trout are certainly no problem in these mountains.