1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rained out for most of the week...what do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Genlandscape, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

We lost about 16 hours to rain this week, and its raining now. We do not mow in the rain (see alot of yahoos doing it around here). I refuse to put $30k worth of equipment on wet turf, besides the St. augustine and Bahia grasses we mow are heavy enough when they are dry. All of our established customers are used to this practice, but a few of the new ones refuse to understand the fact that we don't mow in te rain, and tend to piss and moan when their service is a few days late. What policy do the rest of you follow?:hammerhead:
  2. T&J Landscaping

T&J Landscaping LawnSite Member

if i know it is going to rain a day or two before there lawn needs to be cut,, I mow it ,, why lose a week pay from a client,
  3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

If i get out and start mowing as long as its not a down pour I keep mowing until it just gets to wet. My Scag don't know its raining. The velcity plus does a great job on wet turf. But I do have some customers that gripe about it so depending on what day it is and whos yard I'm cutting. Some don't care and some do. I do the ones I can and wait on the others.
  4. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

When it's time to make hay, make hay. You are throwing money out the window every time you don't mow.We mow as long as there is no lightening.
  5. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

I would just be happy to see rain. You should be glad you are getting rain because many of us are hurting do to lack of rain.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I am one of the yahoos around that mows in the rain. If you are careful doing your turns and pay attention to where you disengage the blades you will be fine. I dont know how you could survive without working in the rain.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Unless it's absolutely pouring outside, I'm mowing. If $30,000 worth of equipment can't get wet once in a while, you might want to rethink which brand you're running. :)
  8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

am just south of you,and been dealing with all the rain all week . i just keep on mowing,only stop for heavy down pours or lightning.i work solo and have three mowers just to keep on track.had to do a ton of extra trimming ,cause most lawns were under water,i finished up today,normally done by 1pm on Friday
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Mowing very wet grass isn't good for the turf or the equipment. One has to find a balance between that and getting all the accounts done. For me, that means a couple days off, even 3, and then working 7am to 8pm. Under dire circumstances, that might even mean working on a Sunday, but that is extremely rare. I keep my Friday route light, and Saturdays open for either this sort of problem or for installs and the like.
  10. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I hate mowing soaking wet grass, especially tall, thick wet grass. If it starts raining while I'm cutting, I finish the lawn. If it's only drizzling and the grass is just damp, I'll mow. Some of it just depends on the yard....some I can cut wet and some I won't touch until they are dry.