Raining...PART 2....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SharpEdgeLawnCare, May 6, 2003.

1. SharpEdgeLawnCare

SharpEdgeLawnCare LawnSite Member

Ok, Thank you all for your responses on the soaked lawns thread.

New question:

Mowing in the rain, letting a mower get caught in a downpour on your trailor hightailing it home (poured on for 20 minutes)...Can this damage your mower if it happens once or twice or how about every week the mower gets wet? If it doesnt, and you all say its fine to mow in the rain, can i leave it uncovered at night and forget about the dew? THanks

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not that I like my equipment to get rained on, but for what I paid for it, it better hold up to getting wet. I really see no ill effects unless you are just leaving it out all year in the elements.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I don't like to get my equipment wet other then when it is getting washed. A little rain is not going to hurt anything other then possibly causing some rust. People in Washington State have to mow in the rain due to their climate.

4. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I think its up to your own personal preference, I bought my equipment from a John Deere dealer and all of there equipment is out in the elements for months at a time. I myself keep my equipment in my garage, it's safer and dry. I have been caught in the rain and other than a little rust everything works fine, but ther is that smell of dying grass in my garage. This is my 2 cents on that!!!:cool:
  5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would rather not have my stuff out in the rain if I could help it. It will screw up the belts if you do it on a regular basis.
  6. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I better be able to work in the rain!

How about when i powerwash every week or more?!?!? The amount of money i pay for these things, i better be able to get them wet here and there.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

People always wonder if rain is going to hurt anything. It will not!!!! These units are made for extreme conditions. The elements we cut in is harder on equipment than rain. Dust, dirt and grim is much worse on a mower than rain. Don't worry about it raining. No big deal.
  8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Rain hurting the belts,thats a new one on me. A little water on the belts now and then will help prevent dry rot. Seriously, keep all the joints (zerks) greased up and you should be fine, although water will cause rusting. In addition, always run your engine back at your shop to dry them off, after trailering mowers in the rain.