1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rainmaster remote quit working

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously, my employees had access to all the tools, but only one was ever permitted to use the instruments.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Coincidentally, I'm having an issue with my RM as well. It will not turn on a zone, when the receiver has the antenna hooked in. When I remove it, it will receive the signal and turn a zone on and off as instructed by be pressing the button on the transmitter. When I hook the antenna back in, it will not turn any zones on or off.

Ideas? I haven't cleaned it off yet to see if it's some weird dirty contact issue.

3. Mike Leary

How long have you had the remote, Dana?

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

A year or so. Bought used, and it's in very good physical condition on the outside.

5. Mike Leary

Last I heard, it's $300.00 bucks to send the remote to RM. Despite what any one says, they are pretty bullet-proof, short of a concrete drop or a full imersion in a valve box. The battery is available from Radio Shack, etc.

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Update. Started out the day working good with the new semi-waterproof case. Went to lunch and left it sitting in the front seat. Back to work and it wouldn't work so I figured it was a moisture thing. Took the bottom plate off and can tell there is moisture inside so I let it air out while changing a head or something. Put back together and back to working and good for rest of day. When I got home at 8:30 I took off the bottom and set it in front of the air cleaner that blows a gentle breeze. Figure that will dry it out good.

As for the new semi-waterproof case I will not tell where I purchased it. Can't give away all my secrets.

IMG_0154[2].jpg

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

This weekend you might put the remote in a bag of rice to wick all the moisture out.

I put a few silica bags in my transmitter cases to help keep the electronic components dry.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Great idea, your full of them.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

How much heat does a remote put out?

A guy might be able to use a food sealing device to vacuum seal the remote.

Can't think of a brand name right off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

There are also various waterproofing coatings that might be worth looking into.