Rainwater Harvesting Install Pics...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor_Tool, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I would share a few pics of a Rainwater Harvesting System underway in Tucson, Az...site has two tanks, the tank in the pics is 15K gallons.

15K Tank3.jpg

15K Tank2.jpg

15K Tank1.jpg

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a big tank. What type of system will be used to harvest the rainwater?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

This side of the site will collect rainwater from the roof and parking lot run-off. Downspouts and parking lot will drain into a collection basin, then through a vortex filter before hitting the tank.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

How's the pumping system going to work?

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I want to know what the water is going to be used for.

I wouldn't think potable water considering it will be gathering nasty stuff off the parking lot.

On a side note, I've been pushing cistern installs for people this year after the nasty drought we had.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

This is Arizona, it won't be used for potable and certainly not off of a parking lot.

Landsacping most likely, maybe grey toilet water flush, but even that is an act of god to get passed and approved.

Rotor-tool- You on the install or just happen to see it? Looks like you have some exclusive site access. Nice project. What type of business?

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

do you have to anchor the tanks with concrete? i bid a job that was worried about the groundwater pushing the tanks out of the ground.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty cool. My son did a science project 10 years ago on the storm water collection systems the county installed. They were similar to catch basins but had separate compartments to collect debris. Turns out the county did not have the money in place to clean them. When my son inquired about that issue they stated it had to be handled as hazardous waste and the money was not available. I chuckled when my son said so basically in a heavy rain the basins flush hazardous waste into the environment. The
    Guys expression was priceless but none the less he agreed. My son received an A for the project and a letter of commendation from the County environmental office for bringing it To the their attention. I am sure the guys installing these tanks have it figured out.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The tanks like that I've installed called for a specialized gravel backfill that was added as the tanks were being filled to stabilize them. Have heard some horror stories about tanks popping out of the ground, though. :dizzy:

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I get a real kick out of this, "Rainwater Harvesting System", talk. Like this is something new for environmentalists to brag about.
    Can anyone remember the good old "cistern" at farms all across the country?
    sure is a big holding tank for a place that gets, what, maybe 10" of rain in a wet year.