Rainwater Harvesting Install Pics...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor_Tool, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Water will be used for irrigation at the site.

2. Rotor_Tool

Yes, I am onsite. This is for a new Walgreen's store.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Are the tanks secured to a concrete slab with stantions similar to horizontal fuel and propane tanks?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Rotor_Tool

There are concrete deadmen/straps anchoring the tanks in place.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Mine don't get parking lot runoff, but it is amazing how much gunk collects in the bottom after a few years. We have the septic boys pump them. My comment about fibre cisterns was that special backfill gravel was used on the OUTSIDE of the tank while the tank was being filled. They don't like being dry, which is prolly the reason for more stringent anchoring, such as concrete in certain areas.

6. Mike Leary

I believe the term for backfilling a plastic cistern is "granulated spoils".

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

do you use a matrix or fabric to contain and separate the native from the specialized backfill material?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Mike Leary

No, and I understand what you're saying. We've done that with curtain drains, but, the plastic cistern must be kept filled, otherwise it will prolly rise and/or shift, no matter what.

9. Rotor_Tool

We are separating backfill from native soil with landscape fabric wrap. The hole is lined, tank set, backfilled, then wrapped like a huge burrito, then native soil goes back in for the remainder of the excavation.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

So doesn't the oil, gas, antifreeze, etc cause issues with the plant material after time?

There's a local medical center that was going for some sort of LEED cert that was going to use all the runoff from the lot for irrigation. Someone asked them what about all the salt that is applied during the winter collecting in these tanks, being applied to turf and plants.

You could have heard a pin drop.