Rainy Days, what to do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy627, Feb 11, 2013.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's rained all winter here non stop almost. we've only had a few days where the sun came out in the past 2 months or so. i bet when summer gets here it's not gonna rain a drop lol.
  2. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

I'm doing the same! :laugh:
  3. Adamp247

Adamp247 LawnSite Member

I wish it would dry up and warm up real quick. I'd like to start mowing early again this year. I've been doing crepe myrtles and ornamental grasses and cleanups for the last couple weeks.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i dunno man. last year i was mowing at this time. i think it's gonna be mid march before we get to start this year. maybe early march if we get lucky.
  5. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

If it rains while were working, we just go to any gas station with a shelter and bullshyt until it blows over.
  6. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on if we are on schedule or not.....also depends on what "rain" is....a lot of the times they will forecast rain here and it wont be nearly as bad as they say, so it might spit and drizzle here and there but totally workable with no adverse affects. Some days we roll the dice and it doesn't work out. Usually I will call the guys in and we'll see what the deal is. A lot of it depends too on what we're doing and where it is, if we are doing a ripout or something and yard we're working in is a swamp as soon as it rains we're not gonna go there but if its one of those yards that can rain on all day and never really get wet then we may work in it. Also if its been raining all night or the day before, we take that into consideration too. Just a lot to think about, but like I said usually the guys will still come in and we'll see what we can do. Worst case scenario is everyone shows up and I decide its not gonna happen today I usually take the guys out for breakfast or something as a "sorry for making you come to work and then have to go home again" thing, and we'll talk about jobs we have coming up or whatever. Then I ususally spend the day catching up on equipment maintenance and office work.
  7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

This time of year, I'm doing hardscapes because they can be done in the rain.
  8. sharperimagelawns

sharperimagelawns LawnSite Member

Cold Calling local businesses is a good thing to do on rainy days, especially this time of year. Wether in person or by phone, theres not a wrong time to drum up business. And it beats sitting on the couch.