Raised bed garden path help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Lnd Svyr, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

I have a vegetable garden area of 30' x 60'. In it are raised beds. Most are 3' wide by 12' long with 4' paths between.

.........12'......4'..........12'.......4' ........12'.......4'......12'
    ------------- -------------- -------------- ----------
    |................|...|................|....|...............|....|............|
    ------------- -------------- -------------- ----------

4'

------------- -------------- -------------- -----------
    |................|..|..................|...|.................|...|............|
    ------------- -------------- -------------- -----------

Something like that. Probably didn't need the picture but....

The problem in the past has been in the walkways--weeds and water. This year I'm going to till the paths and swale the soil between the raised beds, sloping to the south side of the garden to facilitate drainage (already have the slope). The question then becomes, what can I do to control weeds/grass in a dollar- and knee-friendly way? Any help appreciated, guys.

On edit:

OK, the formatting just ain't working. But you get the idea.

2. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I use bales of straw in my walkways between my raised beds. I spread it out fairly thick and it does a real good job with keeping the weeds down. I pay $2.50/bale from a local farmer down the road and I usually get about 1 dozen bales.

3. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I meant to emphasize that you only want to use straw, NOT hay. Hay tends to have a lot of weed seeds in it.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You could also use a product called "preen". You sprinkle it on the ground and it will kill the weeds but should not bother the vegetables. You can find it at places like Lowes or Home Depot. Also landscape supplier will carry it in larger quantities.