Raised bed garden?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jeffinsgf, Jan 28, 2008.

1. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Okay guys, I'm staring out at the winter gloom and starting to plan my early spring projects. I am building four 4' x 4' boxes for some raised bed vegetable gardening. I am also planning on irrigating the back yard this year (did the front and sides 2 years ago with help from this board) and plan to incorporate a zone (or two) in that system for the raised beds.

So, what's the best choice to deliver water to a vegetable garden? I was thinking Netafim, but then it occurred to me, in the case of stuff that I am starting from seed, Netafim might be less than optimal. Shrubblers? Elevated sprays? Something else? Thanks in advance.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Only Boots & She Shovel use shrubblers.:laugh:
    You bring up a excellent point about germination: want the mist early on to
    get everyone going, I've used above ground poly w/micro sprays on risers for germination,
    then switch to Netafim for root irrigation. Put a ball valve at every raised bed,
    you can then shut down or adjust as needed & make the change to Netafim.
    Netafim is
    pressure compensating, so no prv (within reason) is needed. As in all irrigation
    lines, I'd hit the micro & the netafim with air after the season, especially
    important with low volume lines..want to fry some of that algae build up.

3. jeffinsgf

Hadn't thought about dual delivery systems. That would be the bees knees. Would you bury the Netafim? I have some in a ground cover bed, and no matter how much mulch I put in, the Netafim seems to expose itself. The aesthetic issue isn't as significant in a vegetable garden, but since I am building it from the ground up, if I can get the Netafim out of sight, I will. For the "germination cycle", would you consider MPR's or do you think a true "spray" would be better?

EDIT: Just realized, even the smallest MPR is going to overshoot the bed by 5 feet.

4. Mike Leary

Good edit...you'll have the use the little baby micros,both sides of the bed they screw into the 1/4" risers off
    your poly lateral, there are barbed fittings that attach the poly to the risers, you can
    even make swing joints! Plastic keepers 12" will hold the risers upright. The micro system
    has worked for one of my clients for years , but because of maintainance issues , Hank just pulled it & replaced with Netafim: I'm not sold on drip to germinate! Will see.

5. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Either apply a fine layer of screened compost after seeding or hand water until they break the surface. After that, no problema, amigo.

6. Mike Leary

We'll not be having that kind of advise on this forum, young man!:hammerhead:

7. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We're talking about a different kind of "seed"!

8. Mike Leary

Oh. I thought...never mind.

9. I'm doing a vegetable garden my self this year after a 5 year hiatus. Will post pics if you do so.

10. jeffinsgf

You're on. Hey, if we can hijack the forum to wax poetic over has been guitarists, certainly we can have a veggie garden thread.