Raised Bed Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jkelton, Nov 21, 2003.

1. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Anybody out there ever mixed up their own raised bed soil mix? If so, what products and ratio did you use?

I am looking at possibly blowing in a soil mix for a raised garden at a facility above a parking garage. There is a company that offers a raised bed mix here, but I think I could probably make it cheaper myself (I have most of the ingredient on hand). I believe I could use a mixture of high quality (mature) compost, pine bark fines, and sand. This mixture will be 32" deep and will be compacted in - I want to make sure I have enough sand in the mix to make the mixture drain well.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Jkelton,

Here is a quote from this site.

"The recomendation is to mix sand, vermiculite and your soil for the bottom six inches (creating drainage). Mix your soil with vermiculite or use store soil mixed with your soil to lighten it. Use that on the top part around and above the bulb. Use a layer of compost, a layer of processed or aged manure and a layer of bulb food for established lilies. For new planting the bulb food goes in the soil in and around the bottom of the bulb. I got this from one of the bulb companies. I hope it helps. I would think you could also use a gravel base at the bottom. Whatever it takes to get good drainage."