Raised patio excavation?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CNYScapes, May 6, 2006.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting a raised patio next week. Do I need to excavate any of the ground? or can I just start pouring down the gravel and compacting it?

2. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

need more info, whats the soil like?

3. CNYScapes

little bit of clay, not too much sand

4. Pavers Plus

Pavers Plus LawnSite Member

you need to excavate out all organic matter (topsoil, grass, etc...). probably will need to excavate out atleast 2-3", maybe more depending on conditions. If you are putting a wall in to raise up the patio, you should consider excavating atleast 10" for the footer.

5. CNYScapes

YA, I know I have to dig out for the wall, I am just wondering about the patio part. If it will be raised about 8" high, do I even need to take out the grass? Why cant i just start on top of the grass?

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

How in the world did you price this out if you have no idea how much excavation or how much stone fill you will need?

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

You won't be able to get proper compaction.

8. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

This project is at your house and not for a client..........right?

Dan

9. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Organic matter in soil will break down and rot, and your patio will settle. If it is a newer home there is a good chance that a lot of the soil around the house is fill, and ALL of the soil 3-4' out from the house is fill. At the very least you should remove the sod and run a big jumping jack type compactor over it.

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

my thoughts exactly

please take out all organic matter. As others said, it will break down over time, resulting in a wavy or sunken patio