raised patio question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by captaingreen, Apr 15, 2008.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've built several retaining walls and only one patio. We are bidding on a small raised patio for a customer and I think I already know the answer to this question but need to check to be sure. When you have completed your retaining wall and begin base for the patio, how do you deal with drainage behind the wall? We usually use perf. pipe and 1" clean aggregate along with soil sep. fabric. Do you fill with road base behind the wall and compact or still put some clean behind the wall. Our wall is only 1 foot tall and a 500 sq. ft. paver patio. Also with the soldier course on the patio I was planning on using adhesive where it joins with our wall block, any other suggestions?

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

If you pitch the patio correctly you don't necessarily have to put drainage behind the wall b/c you will be sealing the top with an unpermeable surface. If you do decide to drain it, then just build the base to the bottom of the pipe with road base then the rest with clean stone. just make sure to use road base on top of the clean to provide a good bed for your sand.
  3. captaingreen

Awesome. Ya, I was kinda wondering since we put polymeric sand over the patio if any drainage behind the wall would be neccasary.
  4. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Suggestion: Use adhesive between your block and cap. Don't use adhesive anywhere else.
  5. captaingreen

Ya, maybe I worded that weirdly.