Raised patio question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by BLC1, Nov 21, 2009.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

My back sliding door leading to my patio (when it gets built) is about 4 feet above ground level. I was wondering if you just build that up with dirt and then pack the top with your stone and screening or how that may work.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

"Dirt" is not suitable material to build off of. Sort of depends on the design, but well compacted stone base is usually your best bet. Raised patios are considerably more advanced and than ground level ones.

3. BLC1

from Ohio

Does anybody have any pictures of building a raised patio?

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

#1. always build with crusher run aggregate (or whatever they call it where ever you live)

#2. The ground is comprised of what's called *soil*, not "DIRT". Dirt is what gets on your floor, your hands, your car, etc.

i tried to insert a pic, but the pic inserter thingie isn't workin.....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

flowable fill is the only way to go check it out

6. DVS Hardscaper

well. you sorta, but not all the time. If you can't get a concrete truck to the patio site, or other variables are present - flowable fill is not usually a good choice. We've not countless raised patios, and not one of them has been appropriate for flowable fill.

7. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Member
    from nunya

HAHAH, lol reminds me of my soil science teacher at MSU, its not DIRT its SOIL.... always give us hell when we said dirt. but hey, its stuck and I never use the term dirt anymore when talking about 'soil' :)

Evan

8. DVS Hardscaper

Same with my horticulture teacher. Anytime we students would say "dirt" - smoke would come from his ears and nostrils.

I even have the 6 yr old programed to say "soil".

9. BLC1

from Ohio

Do you build the outer wall and then fill that shell with the fill?

10. seascapes

seascapes LawnSite Member

What do you want the end result to be? Its hard to say how to go about the project w/o knowing what you want to see in the end...pavers, concrete, turf, stone, or soil/dirt depending on where you did or didn't go to school. Its a whole different ball game if you looking for a raised patio. If its raised then we need to talk block probably.