Raised Patio with top finished in grass?!?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Nov 25, 2009.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Just a wierd thing that popped into my head that I thought would be really cool. Doubt anyone has ever seen this. I would'nt think it would cause drainage issues with just a few inches of top soil on top of the base.

2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

well to do grass properly you'd want more than a few inches of soil. And I would have to wonder where excess water that gets onto the soil would go, so you would need a drainage plan of some sort.

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

I get by okay on 3 inches often. More is better when it comes to top but I thought 3 would work to both support grass and not affect drainage. Retaining walls have grass up to them. A raised patio is a square retaining wall.

4. Isobel

but in a natural setting grass has more than 3 inches of soil beneath it, the soil will soak up the added rain when we have the rain storms that last a few days. so in your raised patio with grass, where does the extra water go?

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

yeah so I guess you might not get enough water? Maybe if there was an irrigation system then. Otherwise i guess it might die.

6. Isobel

that didn't really answer the question I posed. If there's no drainage for the area that has grass, what happens to the extra water that the grass isn't going to use? It will drown.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

what is making the water stand? I dont follow. A raised patio. If anything the water is going to go pass the roots to quickly with all the aggregate under the soil.

8. Isobel

I suppose it depends on what you have under the soil. what's you're patio sitting on?

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

raised patios get built up with aggregate.

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

it might look nice but high maintenance, mowing it, set the grill, hard to use after rain, etc. etc. it you really want grass I'd use the turfstone pavers.