raised patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey everyone, we are doing a raised patio against a house that is a year old. What is everyones opinion on an overdig? (besides it being needed, which I know it is) How do you recomend I decide how deep to go with it? also, what about a water proofer on the foundation wall that will be against the patio? Thanks!

Also, we always use modified stone for fill... I have been hearing others say clean stone is better? What are the opinions? I like the modified, havent had any problems, and I think I should stick to this.

Thanks!

2. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

Oh dear. Allow me to get this started:

In this corner . . . ChampionLS!!!

In this corner . . CgLand!

Go at it, lads! :D

3. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

When they dug the foundation and filled in the void between the poured foundation and the groud, you know they didn't tamp it, at all. We've all see the dozers just push the dirt back in the void. This means there is about a 3 or so foot wide, by about 10 foot deep void of soil that isn't compacted and is going to settle over time. Sure you can overdig and tamp but to do it properly and ensure your work thats gonna be major money, have fun explaining that one to the home owner. The type of stone for fill is really the least of your worries at this point.

4. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe we usually overdig enought on new construction, but only time will tell. I was wondering what everyone else's input would be considering I just saw the old thread that "started it all" and their inputs.

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the engineer's opinion on a raised patio against the foundation? If it's a block foundation, you have to get an engineer involved. If it is poured concrete, the engineer will be a safety factor, unless you are willing to handle all the liability. Just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right or safe.

On new construction, you have to get down to a solid area to start your compaction. That can only be determined by site analysis by someone that is qualified An overdig is one solution and the material to fill it is dependent on many factors. When in doubt, get the right help. You can always contact the manufacturer of the product you are using and work with their suggestions, Just remember, you are the one liable for any damage to the foundation or settling of the raised patio without an engineer.

Kirk