raised patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by edwardexternal, Mar 28, 2011.

1. edwardexternal

edwardexternal LawnSite Member

when you are doing a raised patio, are you hand tamping the area along the wall used to raise the patio. Seems like a lot of extra work but from what Ive learned it is not okay to use a compactor up against a wall no matter how high it may be?

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

This is why we typically install clear stone along the outside edge, very little compaction required.

3. edwardexternal

edwardexternal LawnSite Member

when you say clear stone, I assume you are talking 57's? Are you saying you lay your bedding sand on top of 57's? I would think the sand would eventually work its way down the 57's allowing your pavers to sink?

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

He means you use clean stone without any fines, it's just angular gravel. You have to wrap the wall and your clean stone with geofabric to keep your sand from washing out.:)

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Our terminology is a bit different up here but in the end its the same materials that we use. I don't like using the fabric over top the clear because its harder to screed the sand. So we use a 4" layer of 3/4" minus overtop the clear stone then install sand and brick. Also we incorporate geo-grid when height is a factor

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Or, simply use a Wacker 1550 right up to the block as we do, and you won't have any problems.

7. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

this post actually caused me to chuckle out loud.

8. DVS Hardscaper

Welp, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

But these guys are overthinking $h!+.

Literally.

They sound like a bunch of P.T.A. Moms

On my website, are a few raised patios. Every single one of them was compacted with a 1550 right up to the back of the block. Not a biggie. NO PROBLEMS. NO CALL BACKS.

Same with our SRW's. Compaced with a remote controll roller. And run the 1550 along the back 3' of the wall.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  9. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

the way that i read was sarcastic and funny as heck.

i think we should check the ICPI spec on backfilling raised patios and determine what compactor meets those guidelines :drinkup:

10. DVS Hardscaper

Yeah letz do that, and perhaps your calculator watch can help with any necessary calculations!!