1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Raiseing rates 2006 and fuel surcharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Apr 7, 2006.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We raised monthly maintenance rates 20% for 2006, and again instituted a fuel surcharge. Any of you do either or both.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The best ALWAYS cost more, they can get mediocre from the next lco
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

who needs "the best" when hiring a lawn service? it's grass, and people are looking for DEPENDABLE RELIABLE lawn service that will show up every week.
    being "the best" cutting grass doesn't make you money, cause to be "the best" every blade of grass needs to be perfect. I say don't sweat the small stuff, it's about knowing how to be PRODUCTIVE, do a decent job, and be reliable that will keep the customer on your team. The market just isn't looking for "the best."
    As for the question, yes we raised prices this year, we do every year, but the price increases are on rotation.
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I added a $5.00 fuel charge to most invoices this season.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

When you talk just cutting grass,I agree with your assertion. But our idea and mode of operation with maintenance is, we don't just cut grass, we provide a complete package only.The only mow joe and blow accounts we do are 3 commercial factory yards.I think it takes a wee bit more of competence to know and diagnose turf disease's,insects in the turf, and completely manage properties.It does not matter if their plot of turf is on a Chicago bungalow stamp, or a 10 acre suburban estate, these are very demanding people, and we to have worked hard to be in our position,to be taking care of this type clientele.
  6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

heres a letter i sent out to all customers... its not a big surcharge, but it will help with the costs. won't help anyone established like you Bill, but it might help a newbe...

Attached Files:

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If this is the case then why do people buy a million dollar house when a 75K house would do, They both are dependable and serve the purpose or buy a Cadillac when a Chevy would do and never use the extra features?
    An lco is like a diamond both are pretty much useless unless you want one. But why do some people pay 2-4 times the amount for the same size diamond, cut, clarity but the average person can't see a differnce they were told its a better diamond and the BEST they can get for a certain price.

Being the best does make you money, you can charge more for your services and the best is a perception of what people think. If they perceive you and your work as the best there willing to pay extra for it.

Being PRODUCTIVE just allows you to do more work in set amount of time
    The market may not be looking for the best but cetain customers always will be.

Yes prices go up every yr. why would anyone want to take a pay cut.
  8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I went up $5.00 on each of my accounts. They didn't have any problem with it.