Raising Blades

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by arpat2, Jun 24, 2005.

1. arpat2

arpat2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Do you generally use an impact wrench to remove or assemble the blades? Or do you hand loosen/tighten? I would like to raise my cutting height by raising the blades but I couldn't budge the nut. The dealer said that they were put on with 125 ft lbs. and that I would need an impact wrench to remove them. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Get an impact wrench or try a cheater bar. I tighten mine by hand but they are a ***** to get off at times.

3. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

arpat2 --

I suggest a breaker bar (probably what marko referred to as a cheater bar), and a v-shaped block of wood. You use the wood to hold the blade in place so you are not fighting against the sharp edge of the blade with your hand, and you can put all of your leverage into the breaker bar. If you're not familiar with a breaker bar, its essentally a long wrench that looks something like a ratchet wrench, but without the ratchet feature. The length it what gives you extra leverage. You then would attach whatever socket fits on the blade bolt to the breaker bar; you should only need to use the breaker bar for about a quarter to a half of a turn before the bolt loosens enough to be taken off either by hand or a normal ratchet. Its not as fast an an impact wrench, but I have seen a lot of stripped threads from people using an impact wrench that aren't experienced with one or are in too big of a hurry. You would use the same technique in reverse to re-install the blade, except that you may not need to use the wood as you will be probably be pushing against the flat side of the blade.

I got my 18" breaker bar at Sears for about $10-20, with another $3-4 for the right socket to fit the blade bolt; most hardware stores will carry them. BTW, it's probably a good idea to get a 6-point, rather than a 12-point, socket to decrease the risk of stripping the bolt.

Good luck.

4. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

5/16ths box wrench. Hand tight. Havent had a problem ever and it makes them easy to get off.

5. arpat2

arpat2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I went to Sears and a 1" breaker bar was $54.00 not including the socket! For $40.00 more I could get an impact wrench. I ended up getting them off but somebody had to hold the bolt on the bottom because when I blocked the blades with a piece of wood the bolt turned also. If I invest in an impact wrench will I have to block the blades or will the torque of the wrench be faster then the spinning blades?

6. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Simplest, fastest and safest is to use an impact wrench. No, you will not need to block the blades when using an impact.

7. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

Arpat --

My 18" breaker bar from Sears has a 1/2" drive, which is plenty enough to remove a 1 inch bolt heads. Maybe yours is a lot bigger. The ones on my Toro Z-Master are either 7/8 or 15/16" and for me it works great. Maybe there was a sale on, but I didn't spend more than $20-25 for the breaker bar and socket.

8. arpat2

arpat2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I called my father because I remembered that we gave him an impact wrench for a present years ago. He said I could have it because he doesn't't do that kind of heavy work anymore. He also said he used it about two times. I guess I'll give it a go the next time the blades have to be removed.

Thank you for all of your help and advice.

9. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

If you want a cheap breaker bar, go to home depot and look in the plumbing department where their galvanized pipe is. They usually have a bucket with leftover lengths of pipe after custom cutting one to size. I found a 1" diameter, 24" long piece of galvanized pipe that fits over my socket wrench, easily loosens my blades which were put on with an impact wrench from the dealer. They'll usually let you have the pieces for free.

10. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

You might consider the Panasonic Multi-Tool
    Great powerful drill (3.5 A) and impact wrench. I easily fasten and undo my blades on my Toro Z in a second.
    Best investment I made in years!