1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Raising mowing heights in summer? Floratam?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A23, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have not been to Florida since 1974/75. I don't remember what the grass looked like then.

Would be nice to vacation there and take my son to Disney World. Are most of the attractions open in the winter. Disneyland closes down some in the off season.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I have too many yards and machines to try and remember which one is what so I always cut at the highest setting, year round, 4 inches.
    Why would anyone even want to cut shorter?
  3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree on the 1 1/2'' Been there few times never seen a lawn cut tall
    All looks like golf greens
    I have a customer that winters in Fl and he says same thing. He said grass don't grow like it does here
  4. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some neighbors next to my customers lawns that purposely go over a bit into my nice tall st.Aug lawns and they cut it so short.they get mad I guess that I cut it tall. Their lawns look like crap but they look at me like I don't know how to cut.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Most all attractions stay open year round, winter is actually the best time to go in my opinion unless its windy. Summer is too hot to stand in line. lol
  6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Most all the attractions use hybrid Bermuda that gets cut every 3 days to a half or 1 inch.
    Now the Floratam. Which is just a modern strain of St.Augustine. Supposedly uses less water and is chinch bug resistant (wrong on both). It grows the blades off thick, tough runners that tack down to roots every few inches. These runners do best when protected from the sun. The blades themselves are thick and fibrous, almost a quater inch wide. Grow them long and they will stand straight up to 6". The healthier the runners, the longer of blades it will grow and the thicker the appearence. These extreme heights keep weeds out which is good as herbicides are few and pricey. Properly fed especially with the minors and its an enbeatable green. The drawbacks are its not barefoot soft to walk on. It has no viable seeds, so its sod or plug only. Its also a tattle tale if you use dull blades, the edge will cut jagged and turn brown by next day. Customers won't be happy. Its thriving when any northern species is burning from those thick blades. It goes dormant in a normal winter but will die from prolonged frost like we had several years ago.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    ericg likes this.
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Since you can't reseed every year with SA you actually have to know what you are doing. Same with weed control as most herbicides are harmful and Floratam is even more so with certain hebicides. You burn SA and you will have a hard time recovering it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ericg likes this.