1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

raising prices because of gas (Groundskeeper pro)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, May 30, 2007.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering i have ground keeper pro and i do not think there is a way to ad a fuel ser charge on there. Is there a way to do so? I have not found any way besides adding a charge for someone every week. Let me kno if there is other wise

i sent a letter this month that states all prices are going up 5% for maintenance accounts. I cannot afford it with gas prices any more and everythingt else. do any of you have a copy of this type of letter or what would you say??
  2. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not familiar with your billing system.

The reality is, the high cost of gas has caused me to pay about an extra $15 every four work days that I wouldn't have to pay if gas was down around $2.50. That works out to about 25 cents to 40 cents per customer depending on the week, which is actually only about 1% of my revenue, or maybe slightly more. I bet if you analyze your gas expenses, you'll see that 5% is excessive, especially mid-season.

I personally am going to tough it out until next year, then hike it based on general inflation, plus maybe a percent or two for gas.
  3. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Michigan the economy is so bad, the fly by night lawn care operations have come out of the wood work. One company in particular, I had two accounts with and lost them both to low ballers. I had mowed for them for 10 years. I learned a long time ago, there was no loyalty in this business. When the bid was chosen, the owner personally called me and told me that he was going to take on a new mower that came in at less than half my price. The lawns were $100 and $85 so we are not talking about some $35 lawn that someone is mowing for 15 or 20 bucks. He said normally they receive about 5 or 6 bids every year. This year they received 18!!
    When the bids were accepted, gas was about $2.40 per gallon. Now, here in MI, it hovers around $3.60+ for regular unleaded. :D
    The owner of the dealership where I bought my mowers several years ago, said they sold more mowing equipment last winter than they ever had.
    So, I have mixed emotions when I pull up to the gas pump.
    Part of me is angered at the blatant gouging that is going on, but then I quickly come to realize that gas... soon to be $4 per gallon will be a wonderful thing!!
    I say, bring on the $4+ gas.
    In fact, I hope gas hits $4.50 and even $5 per gallon this summer.
    This will thin the heard from a good portion of those fly by night lawn guys that have sprung up all over my area.

A toast... to high gas prices!!! :drinkup: