raising prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinky, May 7, 2001.

1. Stinky

Stinky LawnSite Member

Has anyone raised prices since the season started to absorb the cost of rising gas. I have thought about this seriously but do not want to p*** anyone off. Two clients have volunterily given me five extra per week. Finally got rain yesterday after three weeks and it is raining now. Rain on!!!!
  2. I haven't raise any prices yet, but thinking seriously about it with the way gas keeps going up. I'm jealous that you're getting rain, over here in Mid Tenn it is drier than a popcorn fart, no real rain in about 3 weeks. You can really tell where the rocks are close to the surface around here. It will rain this week for sure though, got some jobs to get done by the weekend and it will rain just to mess up my schedule.
  3. dhicks

dhicks Member

I've thought about raising my prices to cover fuel, but a deal is a deal. I will raise my fees a modest amount on new customers and work orders. $1.69 per gallon a rising.
  4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Im going up on new customers only. Like you say a deal is a deal. But it sure would be nice if gas prices would come down just a little bit.
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:( 1.72 a gallon here. :(

I have been talking to other LCOs around and they will be putting a gas surcharge on their invoices to cover the raising fuel prices :( . I have not done this for the invoices sent out in beg. of May, but I am seriously thinking about doing it for the next months invoices.

[Edited by mow money on 05-07-2001 at 10:49 AM]
  6. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I am sending out a letter this month with the statements saying, if gas prices go past $2.15 I will have to add on a fuel surcharge of 10% if they dont like it then they can mow their own lawn.
  7. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Great Idea I will have to keep this in mind.
  8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I raised all my monthly accounts by $5.00 per month last July when gas hit $1.50. Out of 70 accounts I didn't get one complaint. I feel it's foolish to add a surcharge. Then you get some cranky old customers that are gonna complain if they see gas at some mom & pop gas station go down .02 gal cheaper than everyone else and will be asking you to lower the surcharge. Then what are you gonna do, lower it for some and not for others. It'll be a bookkeeping nightmare. Just raise your prices a fair amount and if they ask why tell them the cost of doing business, period. If you loose a couple you probobly will be glad in the long run 'cause those are the type of people you don't want in the first place.
  9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree No surcharge ....raising rates with rising cost of living ....keep it fair ...it's part of life ..... rate increases in June/July when it's blazing out & everyone is booked ;->
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

On the news tonight saying likely the gas will hit 3$ gallon in parts of the country. I guess they trying to get us use to the idea. The midwest and CA will probably be the hardest hit