raising prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adamc6, Mar 20, 2003.

1. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

what is the best way to tell your customers you are raising prices this year? and also, how much are most of you raising prices on average this year. Thanks for your time.

ADam

2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

3. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

5-10%, try to throw it at them when they're happy.

4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

We raise prices every other year so we can always say, I didn't raise you last year, so I need to bump you up a little this year. When we do raise prices, it's only half our customers then the next year we do the other half. We are always bumping up half our customers. works well for us. and people don't complain because they expect to be raised every so often.

5. adrianvbarrera

adrianvbarrera LawnSite Member

Let me get that straight.

You raise prices every other year and then when you do raise them it is only done to half of your customers?

6. jkkalbers

Yes raise half one year then half the next so everyone gets raised every other year. What don't you get.

7. adrianvbarrera

Well you stated that you raised every other year but you don't you raise every year but only half of your customers.

I misunderstood it sounded like you raised every other year and then it would only be on half of your customers.

I get it.

Adrian

8. jkkalbers

ok sorry for the miswording, I was holding a baby in one arm and probably got distracted.

9. adrianvbarrera

No problem...Thanks for the info...sounds like a very practical method of increasing prices that would be easy to implement.

Adrian

10. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Adam...factor this into your expenses. Is it res or comm ? Res you should only increase 1.5% to 3% depending on the market area. Comm. you should increase 2.5% to 6% based on the market area. This is very effective expense recovery forecasting and honestly, if they are annual contracts then the increase is not valid unless your overhead expenses increase. There is alot you should learn about business management honestly, try taking some night courses and get a feel for the office side of ANY business. Those who manage their businesses effectively have the highest profits... Oh gezz, sorry was standing on podium :blob1: you get the point... good luck and learn all you can.