1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Raising prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, Jun 15, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Doing this thread brings to mind at least 4-5 customers of ours that have been very loyal to us and have stayed with us since our beginnings. But we've been discussing the fact that with the expansion of our business and the quality of our cuts getting better of the years, that we should increase the prices a bit. Is this a bad idea from your experience, and should we approach it during the middle of the season like this? When we say raising the prices we only mean $5 a yard.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know man, some people get pretty frusterated about raising prices. If you do make sure you explain why and maybe print out a flyer that gives reasons, explains increased quality of cut and maybe equipment costs etc.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure people get frustruated when prices go up, but everything is going up. I get mad when material, parts, fuel, insurance, etc,etc keep raising all the time. You need to raise prices to keep up with inflation. I would not do flyers, but send a letter with the invoice stating because the cost of doing business is going up, the cost of my services has to be raised. Dear Mr. & Mrs. customer:
    Due to the increased prices in the cost of doing business, ie,insurance, fuel, parts, material, labor it is necessary to increase the charge for mowing or other service by 2.00-5.00 a week. We will continue to do the quality work that you have had with us in the past. Any questions, our number is 555-5555....