Raising rpms on 17hpKaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by plateau lawn care, Oct 9, 2005.

1. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

How can i raise the rpms on a 17hp Kaw
  2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

First get a tach, tiny tach is a very good one. Up front behind the air filter housing and around the carb area, there is plate. Their are two 10mm bolts attaching the plate to the engine ,loosen the two 10mm bolts and lift up on the plate to raise the rpm’s.
  3. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I was also wanting to do this on my 19 hp kaw.
  4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

As 6'7 says, loosen the plate bolts and move the plate to adjust the RPM. Make sure you recheck it after tightening the bolts.

I think this will be the method on most any Kawi engine. I would not go beyond the factory RPM setting for your engine model. It will shorten engine life. That said there is usually 75 RPM tolerance, for example 3,600 +/- 75RPM. In that case set it at 3,675 but no more.

There are many folks here that run higher RPM than recommended. Some will get lucky, and others will eventually have a broken connecting rod which will totally hand grenade the engine.

SOooo... it is your decision as to whether or not to exceed recommended RPM but be prepared to accept the consequences like a big boy if it comes apart.

Good luck,
  5. EXspyguy

EXspyguy LawnSite Member

15, 17 and 19 are all the same engine except the carb and the only difference there is how far the govenor is allowed to open the throttle plate. If you look at where the lever on the butterfly stops, cut some of that away to allow it to travel further thus increasing power.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Why cut on the carb. if there is a procedure for adjusting it ?
  7. EXspyguy

EXspyguy LawnSite Member

it is not just an adjusting screw. It's more of a tab that needs to be cut back.
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check out this attachment, This is the proper way to adjust high speed RPM.
    Using this method one can set RPM up to 4000 or more if wanted, I still don't understand the need to cut anything on the carb. ???
  9. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I have one question, when you reset the high idle on the engine. Is the new high idle setting, set at a no-load high idle, high idle with the blades spinning or is it set with the engine under a normal operating load and at normal operating temp ie. cutting grass and running the hydro pumps? I was once a heavy truck / machinery mechanic, and we set the high idle RPM on a dyno to achieve a true setting. All six of my machines need to be turned up and I was just wondering. I'm getting the tachs for all six.
  10. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

I always looked over and lined the two holes up every time I go to mow...isn't this the same....?