Raising RPMs on Kawasaki Engine.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jul 18, 2002.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know if it is safe to raise the rpms on a 6hp OHV Kawaskai engine (found on the John Deere and Toro 21" mower) from the factory setting of 3350 to 3600. My dealer did this to the Kawasaki engine I have on my John Deere. This has increased the speed on my mower tremendously along with the cut. However, the engine has become quite loud to the point where I am concerned about its long term health. Any ideas?

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Find out what max RPM is and then set the governor to 3600 only if it is specified.

Are you talking about a jx75 or jx85 push mower? Remeber that mower has a clutch and those clutches are known for high failure rates. It could be that Deere "de-tunes" the mower for the purpose of clutch longevity.

Ken

3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Ken,

I have the JX85 with the BBC. I checked the manual out but don't see any max RPM for the engine. The Kawasaki web site does say that max RPM is 3600 for the engine however. I wonder if it is o.k. then?

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If the Kawasaki can handle 3600 go ahead and set max speed to 3600.

You may want to engage the clutch at less than full speed. There is a member (forgot who) on lawnsite that does a lot of push mowing and owns several JX85 mowers, and he has posted that he replaced several clutches.

I don't know why you would want to speed up a JX85? I have one, and in 5th gear it seems like you really have to hustle to keep up with the machine.

PS I have had mine for 5 years and love it. Only trouble spot has been that the blade clutch lever keeps breaking, have been through 3. And, the handles could be sturdier.

Ken

5. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

We have 2- 21inch exmarks with the 6hp kawasaki. The rpm settings that are with in the safe range is 3200-3600.We run ours at 3400 rpm with no problems. If you concerned for the life of the machine than increase your oil changes.