Raising the Blades Lowering the Deck.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cadzilla500, Jan 26, 2007.

1. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

Someone replied to a striping thread the other day with "raise the blades lower the deck". Sounds interesting and I was wondering if anyone else uses this theory. Do you take out the spacer above the blades, or find a thinner one?:usflag:
  2. briancom

briancom LawnSite Member
    from 70458

WELL I dont stripe im in Louisiana, but raising the blades will decrease the volume of grass your deck can handle, thus having to go slower and you dont want that.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Viking, 36" wide, fixed deck. The blades are mounted with bolts through the spindles. Spacer washers are used to place the blade higher or lower under the deck. There are four washers, 1/4" thickness. Putting them all under the deck, and none on top, will push the blade low, even a bit below the surrounding deck shroud. Putting four washers on top of the spindle, and none below will snug the blade close to the underside of the deck. This arrangement is obviously different than those spindles that use a cap screw bolt to fasten the blade to the spindle.

I tend to run two washers up, two washers below. I don't want to run the blade below the shroud, as I would rather have the shroud bottom out on dirt, rocks, etc, than the blade. Sometimes I will run one washer up, three below, thinking I have a bit more capacity for clippings under the deck and they will discharge better. I have tried running three washers on the top, one below.

However, I did not find any difference in striping with any setting. I am cutting cool weather grasses, and have heavy growth in April and May, part of June. My conclusion, in answer to your question, it makes little or no difference.
  4. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Bunton with a fix deck and a blade hight ajustment like Roger has mentioned.I cant tell you much about how it mows I just got is a few weeks ago. But I am interested to know myself, what will strip the best.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Use belting hanging 2" below the edge of deck. The cheapest and does a very good job.
  6. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

Yep. You can pick up tractor belt repair kit at Farm and fleet for about $15 and a piece of aluminum strip ( 2" by 60") for about $5 and some bolts,nuts and washers for $3. Put the strip of aluminum on the back of the deck compressing the belt, drill hole every 12" or so throuhgh the piece, the belt and the deck, run your bolts right through it all and you have yourself a very dependable striping kit. The only negative is you cant take it off easily but mine is on all the time anyways.
  7. mowers1

mowers1 LawnSite Member

If you raise the blades up inside the deck you will get poor discharge and clumping - stripe will improve because you have the back side of the deck "combing" the turf - use a strip kit or install a rubber flap on the back of the deck so it hangs down to 1/2" off the ground - this will flaten the grass blades as you drive over them and they will spring back up with their "flatt" sides facing the direction you cut in. the stripe is the flatt side of the grass blade that you are seeing.
    good luck
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

My Bob-Cats use spacers on the spindles but, they're there for height of cut adjustments. I'm not as concerned about striping as I am height of cut.
    A properly setup deck will naturally stripe if you're cutting at the appropriate height. If you choose to run Gators like I do sometimes, the mulching blades will reduce your striping ability. I installed flaps on the axles to drag on the ground to enhance my stripes when I use Gators. eXmark makes a bolt on flap with a small tube running across the length of the bottom that's perfect for some threaded rod. The threaded rod adds a little bit of weight to the bottom because the whole thing is very flexible. I'm sure you've all seen something similar hanging on the back of a lot of push mowers.
  9. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got to watch out removing upper spacers on some decks, raise the blade too much and high-vac blades can hit deck baffles. I prefer to make a striping kit out of chain shielding that is used on highway mowers and batwings. You can move the "striping kit" back off of the deck, between the rear wheels, and it will still stripe, independant of deck height. Also chain shielding is more flexible than a rigid flap. One drawback is that it does snag little sticks and debris, and needs to be cleaned out daily.
  10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno if they have it for the Walkbehinds but I know the Bobcat Riders have a striping kit avaialble...basically its a smooth rod that drags along the grass...It just kinda floats behind the deck. Dunno how well it works, but seems like a nice solution. I have one here for a 61" rider...sometime I should toss it on and try it...LOL