1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Raising Toro Grandstand to Remove Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JohnnyRocker, Jul 29, 2013.

1. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

hello good people!

So I have finally broken down and purchased my own impact wrench to make life easier. Today I used the method where you drive your front castors up on your trailer gate to get underneath to remove the blades. The only blade that I had enough clearance to remove was the center blade. The side ones were too close to the ground still. I tried several angles, etc. Any bright ideas would be great, besides buying one of those jacks. I am in search of a very cheap, temporary fix for now....if there is one. At least my middle blade is sharp! ha ha.

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Drive the mower up the ramp, with only 1 wheel on the ramp. If needed then back down, and switch to the other side.
  3. ArtLikeLandscapes

ArtLikeLandscapes LawnSite Member

I have a electric winch hanging from the ceiling in my shop. Takes less than 5 minutes to change out a set.
  4. JohnnyRocker

Yes, I do not have a winch. And I have already drove it up the trailer ramp....still the side blades are too close to the ground. Need another 4 inches.
  5. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

Can't you put a caster on a floor jack and get to them?
  6. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

This may work. Drive the front wheels of the tow vehicle up on a raised spot or curb, that will make the angle of the trailer tailgate steeper so you can get under the deck. Just a no cost idea.
  7. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't get any of the above suggestions to work, invest in a floor jack. Can be had very reasonable at harbor freight and you can have your blades off in 5 mins. You'll use it a lot.
  8. ozarkbilly

ozarkbilly LawnSite Member

I pull mine up with one tire hanging off the ramp, set parking brake, & shut it down. Grab into the front arms leading out to the front wheels & tip the mower onto its back. Pull old blades off, do a good scraping on the deck, put new set of blades on. Then tip mower back upright. First time I heard of this method I was terrified to try it, thinking my mower was gonna go crashing to the pavement. But its not hard at all, I dunno if its due to how well-balanced Grandstands are or what. Oh & I always let it sit for several minutes after sitting it back upright, just because it seems like a good idea.
  9. JohnnyRocker

Are you serious?
  10. ozarkbilly

ozarkbilly LawnSite Member

yes. I do it once or twice weekly