Raising Toro Grandstand to Remove Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JohnnyRocker, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ric1

ric1 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I use the jack for my 36" grandstand and the 48" ztr and I also use it for my self propelled push mowers. It's a real back saver.

2. mowerman28

mowerman28 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

3. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

Home owner here:

Although my Cheetah is only 8 hour old. I have read many posts about getting the front up for the purpose of changing blades. I want to be prepared when for the time comes.

I have several ways of raising the front of the Cheetah, but I chose to test a pair of steel car ramps for the task.The first thing I did was pul the deck all the way up, and locked.

Then, I placed the ramps by lining them up in front of the caster wheels, I drove the casters forward, and up on the ramps until the casters settled in the ramp wells. I then reached for the ramp's ends, pulling them gently outward, swinging the ends out & away from under the Cheetah. That created ample room to reach under and handle the 9" long blade bolts for the blades.

I then swung the ramp ends back in line to back the casters off the ramps.... it worked very well....and insures me that the front end of the Cheetah is very secure, and won't fall on me.....

NOW remember, I didn't drop the blades. this was just a visually test for the results.

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

4. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I ended up doing. I discovered muscles I never knew I had. Little gas leakage, but I did seal the hydro with a plastic bag between cap and reservoir. Was this a delayed response or what?:usflag:

5. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I broke a mojack lifting a grandstand. Mojack said I was overloading it. Be wary.

6. balms

balms LawnSite Member

I took a look at Exmarks factory lift that attaches to the front of the frame. Then I went to TSC and got a trailer tongue jack ($25). I attached two sturdy hooks with nylon straps to the bracket on the jack that is used to fasten the jack to the tongue (if it was to be used as a trailer jack). The hooks are then positioned under the front center of the deck and the jack is cranked up, raising the deck a good 14"-16" from the floor, plenty enough to change blades and scrape the deck. I usually put a second jack stand under the deck of the Z just for safety, then shift it to the side opposite from where I am working.
    For floating decks I use a wooden spacer laid on top of the deck under the frame rails to prevent crushing the belt covers when raising the machine.
    Sounds more complicated than it is, but it is reliable, safe and very affordable.
    Works for me.

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if this has been said, but go with CHAIN HOIST!! Hands down best ever!!

9. precisioncare1

precisioncare1 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Always have 2-3 guys in the truck, its very easy for 1 to tip the mower up and the other swap blades. I use a cordless impact and always sharpen my blades the night before. So if you don't include sharpen time it takes around a minute to change them on the grandstand...like the others I let it sit for a few mins