rake leaves or bag

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jarroo's lawncare, Nov 30, 2005.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i was just wondering if alot of you rake leaves or just run the mower over them and bag them. i have a 36" husqvarna wb with a bagger it does good but i was just wondering what i could do to get done faster when doing leaf pickups. I also have a 48" exmark viking hydro w/o a bagger sahould i get another bagger or just use the one i have. i am getting a lot of leave jobs and can hardly keep up. any advice is appreciated.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If you are going to use the mower, i would suggest mulching it at least once first because your bag will fill up VERY fast if you dont.

3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Run the mower around the yard in a circle working toward the middle then rake what's left into bags.

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

leaf blower: blow into piles, Tarp:drag to street (or compost pile) if in street load into trailer. thats what i do i've tryed many things and this works the best for me.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second that. I might also point out that the answer really does depend on several things, not all of which have anything directly to do with equipment.

If most of the leaves are in the front yard and/or if there is plenty of room (i.e., no gates and so on) to move leaves from the back yard to the front yard, rent a walk-behind blower, especially if curb pickup is available. I've rented a Little Wonder with the Honda nine. It's a tornado in a metal box.

If you're dealing with fences and narrow little gates...well, it just gets ugly then, doesn't it? Regardless of how you pick the stuff up, it's tarps and/or containers and there is no way it's going to be easy. Be sure and charge out the wazoo for these. Use mowers to dice and chop.

If you're going to use a backpack blower and have only a mid-range unit or a low-end unit, think seriously about taking autumn off. :rolleyes:

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ya, but im all for the blower and tarp technique till i get a lazer with collection system. A really powerful bp blower will get things done fast, a wb blower will do it even faster (both of those under the right conditions though)

7. VMichael

VMichael LawnSite Member

I use a pb to get the leafs into a pile, then I use a Craftman blower/vac and have attached a 4" hose attached running to a 33gal trash can and it mulches it to a 16:1 rate and then I dump the trash can into a trash bag. Like everyone states, its just another way to do the job.

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I'll consider any method when it comes to leaves VMichael, as none are easy.

After you reduce leaves 16 to 1, how much effort to lug the bag to the curb or throw it in the truck?

I'm using gator blades and an Accelerator aluminum side bag on a wb. I don't know what the reduction is, but it is taxing to throw a full 39 gal. bag in the truck.

If I can lug the bags, I might get a Craftsman like you got for some jobs.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

be ready to use a tarp, that thing wont last 3 weeks...... dont wast your money on homeowner equipment, its not ment to be used very much....

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If you mow and bag the leaves, they will take up a whole lot less space in your truck, assuming you are hauling away the leaves. Some places have municipal curbside leaf pickup and all you have to do is blow the leaves to the curb. Since you don't have a leaf loader, bagging will probably work the best. Just my 2 cents worth.