Rake Poll

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RICHIE K, Oct 29, 2004.

1. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Metal when pushed by my Toro.

aug4 1008.jpg

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Plastic all the way.

4. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I like them both, plastic rakes are bigger so we can the get it over faster, but the claws get ground down fast so they don't work any more. With metal you can't rake as wide as plastic but it will be in your truck many more years.

5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Metal with spring type support on the back. Plastic gets stiff when cold, and does not contour to the ground very well.

6. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

30 inch Poly with a 48 inch metal handle

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Metal spring type.

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

plastic craftsman...when they break (or you break them) just take 'em back and get a new one!

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the great thing about the craftsman rakes. I think they replace them when you wear out the tines, too. I like the Ames 30" rakes. Union has ones like this also, that are a little stiffer. I have my own rake handles, though. Theu are longer, and made out of Ash. It is amazing how much help it is for leverage and for reaching when you're gather the stuff up onto tarps. I prefer the steel tines for much of the spring cleanup, because much of the stuff tends to be matted down into the ground from the winter's snow, and the steel tines just dig a little better. The plastic ones get used also, though. I ALWAYS use a steel tined for moving things on hard surfaces (pavement and cement) like when we do our initial edging. Also, when shopping for a steel tined rake, look for the ones that have the contiuous tines that are flat and sort of loop around at the base (top). The other kind are the ones that the tines are all seperate and pinched together at the base. The problem with these, are that they loosen up and eventually a tine will fall out. Once you lose one, that's it because the other tines will just slide out from the gap.

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

You'd be amazed how many leaves you can push with those rakes upside down on the turf or hard surface. We don't rake too much, but that's what we use when we do. $ 13.99 each, and we have new replacements each spring..