1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

raking/dethatching with a power broom attatchment

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by scott in the soo, Mar 8, 2005.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

iv'e seen guys do it.. but, does it work and is it worth it. i have manually raked my lawns for the past few years and i am getting sick of it. i purchased a stihl f.s 110 with a sweeper attatchment this past off season..

please tell me..

do any of you guys use these to dethatch or rake in the spring??????
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

No but I plan to add some gauge wheels to my 3pt tractor mounted sweepster to try it. I have heard it works quite well. I got a walkbehind detatcher and it takes too long on 1 acre jobs.

I too want to know more. :)
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Look into the JRCO rake, and you will never look back. Instant moneymaker.
  4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I hope to add a JRCO Dethatcher to my W/B by next month. I know it will pay for itself.
  5. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I think you should use a standard dethatcher (like Billygoat) then Turf-vac the property! :) This is the best way for a "true" dethatching! The sweeper attachment is for babies. :cry: Be a man and go big! You should look for a local company to partner up with for that if monies tight! payup

You seem like a guy that would buy a "Husky" :D

Have I pissed you off yet! :realmad: Have a good day! :rolleyes:
  6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. I bought one a few years back and it has been awsome. Saves alot of time. Most of my lawns don't need a power dethatching (so far).
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

A hand held is OK for small closed in areas. I use a 40" MB power brush for the open areas, sticks, achorns, dead grass, and sand along the road. Gets it all,one pass.