Raleigh-Durham demand?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by john'slawns, Jun 4, 2007.

1. john'slawns

john'slawns LawnSite Member

I am thinking of starting a mowing business on the side. I just found this site today.
    It would seem with the huge amount of new homes being built in Wake county there has to be a demand for this. Am I wrong?
    I live in Garner and there are so many new additions being put in all around here and Cary it blows my mind that they can really sell them all.

I would love to be able to go to my job and give my two weeks notice later this summer and be self employed.
    I am a hard worker and fast learner.
    I've spent too many years working my ass off making other folks rich and I just can't stand any more of their BS.

2. Pitbull05

Pitbull05 LawnSite Member

I am in Fayetteville and there is plenty of business out there, but you may want to slow down before you quit your job. You will need a strong customer base and what type of equipment do you have? You will need to have commercial equipment to do enough accounts to live off of. You should keep your job and buy equipment from money you make doing lawn care. It will probably take 2 - 4 years to get the equipment, knowhow, and business to support yourslef in this business. Just because you have and can use a lawnmower don't mean you can go into business. I am not trying to discourage you by no means, but this takes a little time. There are alot of here today gone tomorrow LCO's. You CAN make it in this business, but you have to do it right. Best of luck to you

3. Pitbull05

Pitbull05 LawnSite Member

Sorry, missed the part when you said side job. I just saw start the business and quit your job.

4. john'slawns

Thanks pitbull.
    Anybody else?
    See, they're all too busy mowing to look at the internet.:cool2:

5. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

There is alot of competion out there. be careful about quiting jobs to get started. There is alot of work also but with so much competion it can be tuff. Good Luck. i am in raleigh area also

6. john'slawns

Thanks.
    Oh man today reminded me how much I hate the heat down here too. Of course sometimes at the job it's crazy anyway, steam boiler rooms
    "it's like a sauna in here":dizzy: :cry:

7. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

Make sure you do 12 month contacts so you can get paid in the winter. If you need to sub out weed and feed let me know. I am in Garner also.

TF

8. john'slawns

Hey neighbor.:waving: Will do. Thanks.