Raleigh,NC Irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Just got back from visiting some areas in and around Cary,NC. I was with a friend who is looking to build small developments in the area.
    I happen to see a sprinkler system going in while driving through one development. That is some nasty looking clay you guys have down there. The system was being trenched in with a walk behind Ditch Witch. Everything looked pretty much the same as far as poly,heads,clocks,ect... The only thing different was the backflow. What's with the dcv 2' off the ground in the front lawns? Even better, some developments use those fake rock box covers to hide them. That looks much better:laugh:
    I am curious about a couple of things.
    Is it code to put the dcv that high, or could it be in a valve box?
    The clay didn't look that bad, could you plow through it?
    How deep are the water mains there?and what are they made out of?

-Rainman

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely it was a RPZ not a DCV.

I pulled a RPZ out of a crawlspace today because the owner wanted the backflow outside. First RPZ I've seen in my county. Everyone is DCV's out here.

He was a little bummed when I told him that if he wanted it in a valvebox he would have to buy a new backflow.

I have to say, I think digging under a footing to stub out plumbing from a crawlspace is my least favorite thing in the world. Its so much easier to just tap the line before it goes into the house, the problem with this guy is they ran the line to the backyard through the floor joists, so I had to keep some of the crawlspace plumbing intact.

4. HUH?

Why not drill through the wall...not the footing wall but the actual house wall....just above the sill plate?

5. Dirty Water

Because then I'd be coming out 2' above ground. Out here, everything is buried, nobody wants to look at a backflow preventer. No PVB's, no RPZ's.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If they alter the code to require toxic-rated devices, you're going to have fun with that customer resistance to visible plumbing.

7. Rainman7

from NY

8. Rainman7

from NY

No, I didn't.
    I did notice alot of Rainbird though.

9. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

raleigh code requires an RP minimum 12" above grade in an insulated enclosure for new installs.

raleigh code also requires the RP to be placed within about 5' of the POC. although you can sometimes stretch that to put it in a bed. we try to install ours off to the sides of the yard and make a bed around the box.

10. Dirty Water